Bouncing ball - How many times does it bounce

In summary, the problem statement is to predict the number of times a 0.0506kg bouncy ball will bounce before coming to a rest when dropped from a height of 1.75m. The approach used is based on the percentage of energy lost after each bounce, which was found to be 37.9% through calculations and verification with a teacher and classmates. A table was created to track the total energy of the ball after each bounce. It was determined that the ball will theoretically bounce forever, but it becomes unnoticeable after the energy reaches 0.001 J. The energies form a geometric sequence, which can be used to determine when the energy is less than 0.001 J. In an ideal situation
Ritzycat
Problem statement:
I have a 0.0506kg bouncy ball that will I drop at 1.75m. I must predict how many times it will bounce before it comes to a rest.

My work:
We did a lab to predict the percent of energy "lost" from each bounce. After doing some calculations with my data, I found that, on average, 37.9% of the total energy of the ball was "lost" after each bounce. (I verified this number with my teacher and classmates) Note that when I say "lost", I mean converted to thermal energy.

So, I took a similar approach to this problem.

PEg = mgh = (0.0506kg)(9.8m/s2)(1.75m) = 0.868 J

I created a table.

Number of Bounces - Total Energy of Ball (J)
0 - 0.868
1 - 0.539
2 - 0.335
3 - 0.208
4 - 0.129
5 - 0.0801
6 - 0.0498
7 - 0.0309
8 - 0.0192
9 - 0.0119

We are using the same ball for this part. I maintained my assumption that after each bounce, 37.9% of the total energy of the ball will be converted into thermal energy. However, I must predict how many bounces the ball will bounce before it stops. But since I'm taking a percentage of the previous value will theoretically always have kinetic and potential energy, ie. not all will be converted to thermal. So theoretically it would bounce forever. At what height will the bounces become so small that's its unnoticeable?

For example, after the ninth bounce, the ball will reach a height equal to:

(0.0119 J)/((9.8m/s2)(0.0506kg)) = h = 0.024m... or 2.4cm.

Not sure how far I want to take it before the ball supposedly stops bouncing. I will be graded on how accurately I can predict the # of bounces.

Physics news on Phys.org
You measure the height and energy with some accuracy, with three significant digits in your case. The uncertainty of the energy is 0.001 J. If the calculated energy is less than that, you can consider the bounce stopped.
Instead of calculating the energy after each bounce, you should notice that the energies make a geometric sequence. It is easy to determine when the energy is 0.001 J.

Yes, I did notice they made a geometric sequence! I wasn't sure if that was relevant or not at the time, though. I also did not know that the uncertainty is where I should "taper" it off. I'll make a geometric sequence.

In an idealized situation with a fixed coefficient of restitution between 0 and 1, a ball bounces an infinite number of times in a finite amount of time and travels a finite abount of total distance, with the frequency of bounces approaching infinity as the time approaches the limit of time based on the initial conditions (initial height, and coefficient of restitution). For a real ball, eventually the center of mass of the ball moves so little that the ball ceases to leave the surface that it was once bouncing on, just compressing and expanding vertically for a few more cycles until it stops.

Last edited:

Based on the data and calculations provided, it is difficult to accurately predict the exact number of bounces the ball will make before coming to a rest. This is due to the fact that the theoretical calculations assume perfect conditions and do not take into account external factors such as air resistance and imperfections in the ball's surface.

However, we can estimate that the ball will continue to bounce until the height of each bounce becomes so small that it is practically unnoticeable. This can be seen in the example provided where the height of the ninth bounce is only 2.4cm.

To improve the accuracy of our prediction, we can conduct experiments with the actual bouncy ball and observe its behavior under different conditions. This will allow us to make more informed predictions and take into account external factors that may affect the ball's bouncing behavior.

In conclusion, while we can make theoretical calculations and estimations, the exact number of bounces the ball will make before coming to a rest cannot be accurately predicted without considering all external factors.

1. How is the number of bounces of a ball determined?

The number of bounces of a ball is determined by several factors, including the height from which the ball is dropped, the elasticity of the ball, and the surface on which the ball bounces. These factors can be used in a mathematical equation to calculate the number of bounces.

2. Does the height of the drop affect the number of bounces?

Yes, the height of the drop does affect the number of bounces. The higher the ball is dropped from, the more potential energy it has, resulting in more bounces before coming to a rest.

3. What is the formula for calculating the number of bounces?

The formula for calculating the number of bounces is N = log(h/h0), where N is the number of bounces, h is the initial height of the drop, and h0 is the height of the first bounce.

4. Does the surface on which the ball bounces affect the number of bounces?

Yes, the surface on which the ball bounces can affect the number of bounces. A softer surface, such as grass, will absorb more energy and result in fewer bounces compared to a harder surface, such as concrete.

5. Is the elasticity of the ball a factor in the number of bounces?

Yes, the elasticity of the ball plays a significant role in the number of bounces. A more elastic ball will retain more energy after each bounce, resulting in more bounces compared to a less elastic ball.