1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

How to calculate the comet's speed?

1. Dec 9, 2006 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

Comet moves around the sun in a very ellipical orbit around the sun. As it approach, in 1986, Comet Halley was 8.79x10^7km from the sun and moving with a speed of 54.6km/s. What will be the comet's speed be when it crosses Neptune's orbit in 2006?

length of comet from the sun = 8.79x10^7km = 8.79x10^10 m
    v of comet = 54.6km/s = 54.6x10^3m/s
    T = 20 years
    length of neptune from the sun = 4.50x10^12m

2. Relevant equations

i use the equation T^2 = (4*pie*r^3)/GM and K2 + U2 = K1 + U1

3. The attempt at a solution
    i first use the Kelper's rule to find M of the comet, but i don't really know if that's the right step to start with.

Thank you.

2. jcsd
  3. Dec 9, 2006 #2

OlderDan

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Make the substitutions in your conservation of energy equation and see if you really need to know the mass of the comet.

4. Dec 9, 2006 #3
    one question, when we calculate with the K2 + U2 = K1 + U1, the M we are using, is that the mass of the sun or neptune?

5. Dec 9, 2006 #4

OlderDan

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

The mass of Neptune does not matter. You are just using the radius of the Neptune orbit as a distance from the sun. The potential energy terms depend on the mass of the sun and the mass of the comet.

6. Dec 9, 2006 #5
    i got the answer, thank you so much!

btw, so does that mean if for similiar questions, the M is always M of sun?

Last edited: Dec 9, 2006
  7. Dec 9, 2006 #6

OlderDan

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

If the orbit is an orbit around the sun, then the mass of the sun is involved. There are many problems involving orbits around other force centers, so M will not always be the sun's mass.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?