How to calculate the force required for machining a circular tube?

In summary, eccentric loads are more trouble to calculate than they are worth and an experienced machinist is a better solution.
sagar
Hi everyone,
I need to calculate the force required for machining a circular tube of outer dia 32 and a wall thickness of 2.3, how much ll be the force required for the machining the outer dia to 25?

Engineering news on Phys.org
Welcome to PF;
I suspect you are asking the wrong question - what do you expect the force to tell you?
Basically - there will not be a constant force applied - but different forces in different places at different stages of the machining process - all depending on the specific method used.

If, for instance, you are boring the tube from a cast cylinder, then you will have to apply a torque to turn the bore against the friction of the drill, and you have to apply a force down the axis to press the drill into the metal.
These will depend on the drill properties, and how fast you want to drill the hole out.

Thanks for ur response Simon Bridge,
sorry for the wrong question i asked, actually i need to calculate the force required for the swaging of the circular tube, pls refer this video for reference,
i have only this much following data OD 32 and need to swaged to the OD 25 and it as the wall thickness of 2.3 what is the force required for the swaging to take place? hope now u can able to understand my question

Last edited by a moderator:
I think I get it now. You are basically deforming the pipe at one end.

OD 32 = outside diameter 32mm - is that correct?
So you want to go from 32mm to 25mm? And the pipe is 2.3mm thick?

1. that's called "reducing" not swaging (iirc - could be wrong)
2. there are specialized tools to do this
3. you'd normally reduce by the thickness... i.e. go from 32mm to 19.7mm

I do not know off hand how much pressure you'd need to reduce pipe for a particular thickness though.
Whenever I've done it, it has always been a power or hand-tool so no need to worry about it.
A handbook with the tool usually has a table or a use guide or something.

This is why I'm wondering what you expect the force value to tell you.
i.e. do you need some value to input into a machine?

Ref:
... that was a large steel tube, and I saw 750psi on the gauge. You'll need less.

Last edited by a moderator:
Eccentric loads are more trouble to calculate than they are worth. An experienced machinist is a better solution.

What is the formula for calculating the force required for machining a circular tube?

The formula for calculating the force required for machining a circular tube is F = π x D x L x T x M, where F is the force in Newtons, π is the mathematical constant pi, D is the diameter of the tube, L is the length of the tube, T is the thickness of the tube, and M is the material-specific cutting force.

What factors affect the force required for machining a circular tube?

The force required for machining a circular tube is affected by several factors, including the diameter and length of the tube, the thickness of the tube, the material being used, and the type of cutting tool being used. Other factors such as the speed and feed rate of the machine, the depth of cut, and the rigidity of the machine and workpiece also play a role in determining the force required.

How do I determine the material-specific cutting force for a circular tube?

The material-specific cutting force for a circular tube can be determined by consulting a materials database or using cutting force charts provided by machine tool manufacturers. These values are typically based on the material's hardness, strength, and machinability.

Is there a standard unit for measuring the force required for machining a circular tube?

Yes, the standard unit for measuring the force required for machining is Newtons (N). However, other units such as pounds-force (lbf) may also be used. It is important to be consistent with units when calculating and comparing forces.

What precautions should I take when calculating the force required for machining a circular tube?

When calculating the force required for machining a circular tube, it is important to use accurate measurements and values, as even small errors can significantly affect the results. Additionally, the calculation does not account for other factors such as tool wear, vibrations, and cutting fluid, which can also impact the required force. Therefore, it is recommended to use the calculated force as a starting point and adjust as needed based on actual machining conditions.