How to calculate the force required to lift an object into the air (helicopter)

In summary, the conversation is about building a helicopter using an AVR or Arduino board. The individual is asking for help in calculating the force required to lift the helicopter and determining the appropriate revolutions per minute for the fans. There is also a discussion about the stability and power requirements of drones. The summary concludes with a comment about the force being obvious as it is the weight of the helicopter and that RPM is just one of many related properties of fans.
SIDDHARTH MANWANI
Hey everyone,I am trying to make a helicopter using an AVR or ARDUINO BOARD I wanted to know how do I calculate the force required to lift the helicopter.Can anyone also help me how much revolutions per minute(r.p.m) should the fans generate.I am planning to use two fans.

Engineering news on Phys.org
Welcome to the PF. :smile:
SIDDHARTH MANWANI said:
I am planning to use two fans.
How are you going to keep it stable? With only 2 fans (and no cyclic control of the main rotor like a full-size helicopter uses), that can be harder. Are you wanting to build something like a drone?

https://visitgreenland.com/wp-content/uploads/2017/09/aningaaq-_-drone3-e1505397720880-1500x630.jpg

aningaaq-_-drone3-e1505397720880-1500x630.jpg

Attachments

• aningaaq-_-drone3-e1505397720880-1500x630.jpg
    aningaaq-_-drone3-e1505397720880-1500x630.jpg
    26 KB · Views: 703
SIDDHARTH MANWANI said:
I wanted to know how do I calculate the force required to lift the helicopter.
BTW, there is a discussion going on now about the power requirements for drones lifting payloads in this thread: https://www.physicsforums.com/threads/lift-engine.951255/

SIDDHARTH MANWANI said:
Hey everyone,I am trying to make a helicopter using an AVR or ARDUINO BOARD I wanted to know how do I calculate the force required to lift the helicopter.Can anyone also help me how much revolutions per minute(r.p.m) should the fans generate.I am planning to use two fans.
I don't think you are asking the right questions here. Isn't the force obvious? It's the weight of the helicopter!

And RPM; it is only one of many related properties of fans and not that meaningful on it's own.

1. How do you calculate the force required to lift an object into the air?

To calculate the force required to lift an object into the air, you need to consider the weight of the object and the force of gravity acting on it. The force required to lift the object will be equal to its weight, plus any additional force needed to overcome air resistance and move the object upwards.

2. What is the formula for calculating the force required to lift an object?

The formula for calculating the force required to lift an object is F = m x g, where F is the force required, m is the mass of the object, and g is the acceleration due to gravity (9.8 m/s^2 on Earth).

3. How does the shape and size of the object affect the force required to lift it?

The shape and size of the object can affect the force required to lift it. Objects with larger surface areas will experience more air resistance, requiring more force to lift. Additionally, objects with irregular shapes may have uneven weight distribution, making it more difficult to lift them.

4. What other factors besides weight and gravity should be considered when calculating the force required to lift an object?

In addition to weight and gravity, the force required to lift an object may also be affected by air density, altitude, and the type of lifting mechanism being used (such as a helicopter rotor or an airplane wing). These factors can impact the amount of force needed to overcome air resistance and lift the object into the air.

5. Are there any units or measurements that need to be converted in the force calculation for lifting an object?

Yes, the mass of the object should be measured in kilograms (kg) and the force will be measured in newtons (N). If any other units are used, they will need to be converted to these standard units for an accurate calculation.