How to calculate the force required to lift an object into the air (helicopter)

Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
3 replies · 3K views
SIDDHARTH MANWANI
Messages
1
Reaction score
0
Hey everyone,I am trying to make a helicopter using an AVR or ARDUINO BOARD I wanted to know how do I calculate the force required to lift the helicopter.Can anyone also help me how much revolutions per minute(r.p.m) should the fans generate.I am planning to use two fans.
 
Physics news on Phys.org
Welcome to the PF. :smile:
SIDDHARTH MANWANI said:
I am planning to use two fans.
How are you going to keep it stable? With only 2 fans (and no cyclic control of the main rotor like a full-size helicopter uses), that can be harder. Are you wanting to build something like a drone?

https://visitgreenland.com/wp-content/uploads/2017/09/aningaaq-_-drone3-e1505397720880-1500x630.jpg

aningaaq-_-drone3-e1505397720880-1500x630.jpg
 
Attachments
  • aningaaq-_-drone3-e1505397720880-1500x630.jpg
    aningaaq-_-drone3-e1505397720880-1500x630.jpg
    26 KB · Views: 857
SIDDHARTH MANWANI said:
Hey everyone,I am trying to make a helicopter using an AVR or ARDUINO BOARD I wanted to know how do I calculate the force required to lift the helicopter.Can anyone also help me how much revolutions per minute(r.p.m) should the fans generate.I am planning to use two fans.
I don't think you are asking the right questions here. Isn't the force obvious? It's the weight of the helicopter!

And RPM; it is only one of many related properties of fans and not that meaningful on it's own.