How to Calculate the Noise Equivalent Bandwidth of an Amplifier?

  • Thread starter Thread starter FunkyDwarf
  • Start date Start date
  • Tags Tags
    Density Power
Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
2 replies · 7K views
FunkyDwarf
Messages
481
Reaction score
0

Homework Statement


Calculate the noise equivalent bandwidth of the amplifier.


Homework Equations


A(f) = transfer function of the amplifier
B = (1/S(fo) )* Integral over all values of S(f)



The Attempt at a Solution



Ok we're given the integral of |A(f)| but I am not sure how to go from that to a power spectral density function, because that's what S(f) is isn't it? Initially i used A(f) as S(f), which I am pretty sure is wrong, but it worked in proving the approximation that B = A^2 fc for some charactaristic frequency fc. In this case i simply used S(fo) as A and the intergral as the one given.

I think that assumptions wrong but i don't know how to fix it :(

Thanks
-G
 
Physics news on Phys.org
I don't know if I'll be able to be of much help on this one. The wikipedia.org page looks to be okay on this subject (as long as nobody edits it...)

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Power_spectral_density

That page also has a pointer to a Wolfram page that you can have pretty good confidence in.

BTW, what is the definition of the Noise Equivalent Bandwidth of an amplifier?

This is an interesting paper from TI... what learning resources do you have for your class?

http://focus.ti.com/lit/an/swra030/swra030.pdf
 
Ah hey thanks for replying man, its ok i actually found a past exercise sheet with the same question. Its actually quite hard, i think :(

thanks!
-G