Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

How to choose an amplifier to couple the noise into data line

Tags:
  1. Apr 4, 2017 #1
    Hii...

I have to couple the noise into a communication cable for analyzing the performance of the communication. I am using a function generator which will generate a white noise of 1-2V(rms) and I have a current transformer to couple this to the communication line. The current transformer has a 12ohm. I am getting only this 1-2v only coupled to the line. So I need to chose a amplifier where I should atleast couple 20V to the cable. I was using 30W amplifier which gave me ~15V. Can I use a 100W power amplifier to achieve this? Please tell what are the parameters should I taken care to choose the right amplifier.

2. jcsd
  3. Apr 4, 2017 #2

Baluncore

Science Advisor

Nikhil N. If you cannot finish an old thread then you don't need to start a new thread.

4. Apr 4, 2017 #3

berkeman

Staff: Mentor

Agreed. @Nikhil N -- please keep the discussion in your existing thread(s).

And it would be good if you replied to my comments (in one of your threads) about the industry standard EN 61000-4-6 Common Mode Noise test for data cables. There is no need to "reinvent the wheel" for this test.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook