How to calculate the time required to open a valve to inflate a balloon?

In summary, the problem statement is about pressurizing a canister with compressed air and using a solenoid valve to release the air into a pipe leading to a balloon. The pipe has a diameter of 3mm and a length of 300mm, and the required pressure to inflate the balloon is 1psi. The question is how to calculate the necessary valve opening time to reach the desired pressure. The relevant equations include Bernoulli's Equation and Pg=mMRT, with known values for m, T, and R. This is an undergraduate project and the poster is unsure if their approach is correct.
Josh Humphries
Homework Statement
I have a canister (0.15L Volume). This will be filled with compressed air.
A solenoid valve attached has a diameter of 2mm, and the air will flow through this into a pipe which leads to a balloon. The pipe diameter is 3mm, with a length of 300mm.
The pressure required to inflate the balloon past it's elasticity is 1psi, I believe.
My question is how do I calculate how long I'll need to open the valve for enough pressure to get through to pump the balloon to that point?
Relevant Equations
N/A
Problem Statement: I have a canister (0.15L Volume). This will be filled with compressed air.
A solenoid valve attached has a diameter of 2mm, and the air will flow through this into a pipe which leads to a balloon. The pipe diameter is 3mm, with a length of 300mm.
The pressure required to inflate the balloon past it's elasticity is 1psi, I believe.
My question is how do I calculate how long I'll need to open the valve for enough pressure to get through to pump the balloon to that point?
Relevant Equations: N/A

Any help would be appreciated.

Physics news on Phys.org
Welcome to the PF. :smile:

Is this post really for schoolwork? If it's not for schoolwork, I could move it to the technical forums. If it is for schoolwork, you need to show your efforts to work on the solution before we can offer tutorial help. Thanks.

Thank you!
This is for an undergraduate project I am working on. I am pressurising a reservoir and attaching an electronically controlled solenoid valve to the tank, which I will actuate to release pressure via a pipe, to a balloon.

I have an idea that relates to Bernoulli's Equation and so far I have relevant information:

Using: Pg+12ρgv2g=Pa

With regards to: Pg=mMRT

I have worked out that I have the below:

m = 28.97
T = 25 Degrees C
R = 287 J/kg

I'm not sure if I'm on the right track here...

1. How do I determine the volume of the balloon?

To calculate the time required to open a valve and inflate a balloon, you will need to know the volume of the balloon. You can determine this by using the formula for volume: V = (4/3)πr^3, where r is the radius of the balloon. Measure the radius of the balloon and plug it into the formula to determine the volume.

2. What is the flow rate of the gas being used?

The flow rate of the gas being used is an important factor in calculating the time required to open a valve and inflate a balloon. This information can typically be found in the specifications for the gas or valve being used. If it is not provided, you can measure the flow rate by timing how long it takes to fill a known volume of gas.

3. How do I calculate the pressure inside the balloon?

The pressure inside the balloon is determined by the amount of gas being pumped into it. You can calculate this by using the ideal gas law: PV = nRT, where P is the pressure, V is the volume, n is the number of moles of gas, R is the ideal gas constant, and T is the temperature. Measure the volume of the balloon and use the known values for n, R, and T to calculate the pressure.

4. What is the size of the valve opening?

The size of the valve opening is another important factor in calculating the time required to open a valve and inflate a balloon. The size of the opening will affect the flow rate of the gas and therefore the time it takes to fill the balloon. Measure the diameter of the valve opening to include in your calculations.

5. How do I account for factors such as temperature and pressure changes?

Temperature and pressure changes can affect the time required to open a valve and inflate a balloon. To account for these factors, you will need to measure and record the initial temperature and pressure, as well as any changes that occur during the inflation process. You can then use these values in the ideal gas law to calculate the final pressure and adjust your calculations accordingly.