How to calculate the time required to open a valve to inflate a balloon?

  • Thread starter Thread starter Josh Humphries
  • Start date Start date
  • Tags Tags
    Balloon Time Valve
Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
2 replies · 2K views
Josh Humphries
Messages
2
Reaction score
0
Homework Statement
I have a canister (0.15L Volume). This will be filled with compressed air.
A solenoid valve attached has a diameter of 2mm, and the air will flow through this into a pipe which leads to a balloon. The pipe diameter is 3mm, with a length of 300mm.
The pressure required to inflate the balloon past it's elasticity is 1psi, I believe.
My question is how do I calculate how long I'll need to open the valve for enough pressure to get through to pump the balloon to that point?
Relevant Equations
N/A
Problem Statement: I have a canister (0.15L Volume). This will be filled with compressed air.
A solenoid valve attached has a diameter of 2mm, and the air will flow through this into a pipe which leads to a balloon. The pipe diameter is 3mm, with a length of 300mm.
The pressure required to inflate the balloon past it's elasticity is 1psi, I believe.
My question is how do I calculate how long I'll need to open the valve for enough pressure to get through to pump the balloon to that point?
Relevant Equations: N/A

Any help would be appreciated.
 
Physics news on Phys.org
Welcome to the PF. :smile:

Is this post really for schoolwork? If it's not for schoolwork, I could move it to the technical forums. If it is for schoolwork, you need to show your efforts to work on the solution before we can offer tutorial help. Thanks.
 
Thank you!
This is for an undergraduate project I am working on. I am pressurising a reservoir and attaching an electronically controlled solenoid valve to the tank, which I will actuate to release pressure via a pipe, to a balloon.

I have an idea that relates to Bernoulli's Equation and so far I have relevant information:

Using: Pg+12ρgv2g=Pa

With regards to: Pg=mMRT

I have worked out that I have the below:

m = 28.97
T = 25 Degrees C
R = 287 J/kg

I'm not sure if I'm on the right track here...