How to Calculate the Virial Theorem for a Particle Moving in a Potential?

Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
4 replies · 2K views
Denver Dang
Messages
143
Reaction score
1

Homework Statement


A particle is moving along the x-axis in the potential:

[tex]\[V\left( x \right)=k{{x}^{n}},\][/tex]
where [itex]k[/itex] is a constant, and [itex]n[/itex] is a positive even integer. [itex]\left| \psi \right\rangle[/itex] is described as a normed eigenfunction for the Hamiltonoperator with eigenvalue E.

Show through the "Virial Theorem" that:

[tex]\[\begin{align}<br /> & \left\langle \psi \right|\hat{V}\left| \psi \right\rangle =\frac{2}{n+2}E \\ <br /> & \left\langle \psi \right|\hat{T}\left| \psi \right\rangle =\frac{2}{n+2}E, <br /> \end{align}\][/tex]
where [itex]\hat{V}\[/itex] and [itex]\hat{T}\[/itex] denotes the operators respectively for potential and kinetic energy.

Homework Equations


The Virial Theorem:

[tex]\[2\left\langle T \right\rangle =\left\langle x\frac{dV}{dx} \right\rangle \][/tex]

The Attempt at a Solution


Well, I'm kinda lost.
I'm not sure how to calculate anything tbh...

The thing that confuses me, which is what I think I should do, is calculating:

[tex]\[\begin{align}<br /> & \left\langle \psi \right|\hat{V}\left| \psi \right\rangle \\ <br /> & \left\langle \psi \right|\hat{T}\left| \psi \right\rangle \\ <br /> \end{align}\][/tex]

But can't find anything in my book that shows how to calculate anything that looks like that.

So a hint would be very helpful :)Regards
 
Physics news on Phys.org
Start with

[tex] \left\langle \psi \right|\hat{H}\left| \psi \right\rangle = \left\langle \psi \right|\hat{T} + \hat{V} \left| \psi \right\rangle.[/tex]

What is the left side? What is the right side?
 
Sorry for the late reply...

But that is my problem. I'm not sure how to calculate that ?
Is it an integral, a commutator trick, or...? As I said, I can't seem to find anything in my book that shows how to calculate that.
 
Start at the beginning. What is

[tex]\left\langle \psi \right|\hat{H}\left| \psi \right\rangle?[/tex]
 
Hint to George Jones' question:

[itex]\left| \psi \right\rangle[/itex] is described as a normed eigenfunction for the Hamiltonoperator with eigenvalue E.