How to calculate total momentum before and after an equation?

  • Thread starter Thread starter seallen
  • Start date Start date
  • Tags Tags
    Momentum
Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
2 replies · 15K views
seallen
Messages
7
Reaction score
0

Homework Statement


I have been working on a lab where I am doing an experiment with two carts. I have calculated the momentum of cart 1 before and after the collision, and the momentum of cart 2 before and after the collision, but then how do I get the total momentum before and after the collision?


Homework Equations


p=m*v


The Attempt at a Solution


Would total momentum be equal to (momentum before collision of cart 1)+(momentum before collision of cart 2)?
 
Physics news on Phys.org
seallen said:
Would total momentum be equal to (momentum before collision of cart 1)+(momentum before collision of cart 2)?

Yes it would, it should also equal momentum of the carts after the collision (within error)
 
By the way, don't forget that one of the cart's momentum will be negative if they are moving in opposite directions.