How to change the color of an LED?

  • Level: Undergrad 
  • Thread starter Thread starter Jackie1
  • Start date Start date
  • Tags Tags
    Change Color Led
Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
36 replies · 25K views
I wish that was a piece of plastic or a filter I could just stick ontop of the blue display to change it to green. I know I'm dreaming.
 
Physics news on Phys.org
Jackie1 said:
I wish that was a piece of plastic or a filter I could just stick ontop of the blue display to change it to green. I know I'm dreaming.
Look through a green bottle to make sure that you are only dreaming. If you see a green display then a plastic filter will work. If not, the LEDs in the device are not suitable. But you just have to try.
 
I'm getting more and more curious. Why does it need to be green?
 
DaveC426913 said:
I'm getting more and more curious. Why does it need to be green?
What? Who doesn't like green? :smile:

I imagine it's to match the other displays in the vehicle.
 
DaveC426913 said:
I'm getting more and more curious. Why does it need to be green?
Authenticity, I reckon. Same as the colours of paint used on renovated vehicles. Plus, white / blue are not very restful colours when driving at night. In many ways, green is fave Dave.
 
Ah. I was assuming it was a bedside clock.
 
trurle said:
I see. This is the "LED backlight module" intended to reduce light losses of LED. It can still work with discrete LED, although with complications. You need to:
1) Cut the existing LED clear from diffusor plate using knife or heavy-duty nail cutter.
2) Either use "right angle" packaged LED, or bend leads of your LED to look sideways into diffusor panel
3) Connect LED lens and diffusor plate with a drop of transparent acrylic or silicone adhesive (recommended)

Well trurle super helped me and I sent my led to him and he fixed it. Yes, I shipped it to him in Japan. No one could do this here in the USA that I could find and if I did it myself it would have been destroyed. Here’s a pic but I will get better ones later. Thank you trurle!

IMG_2648.jpg
 
Attachments
  • IMG_2648.jpg
    IMG_2648.jpg
    31.1 KB · Views: 414
  • IMG_2648.jpg
    IMG_2648.jpg
    31.1 KB · Views: 407
  • IMG_2648.jpg
    IMG_2648.jpg
    31.1 KB · Views: 539
  • Like
Likes   Reactions: Charles Link and berkeman