How to choose correct steel profile ?

• Thread starter berdan
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Steel
In summary, the conversation discusses the speaker's work in the crane production industry and their struggle to choose the correct IPE profile for a jib crane. They mention their confusion about calculating deflections and the importance of finding the most problematic stresses in the IPE profile and comparing them to the standard steel grade. However, it is noted that these questions cannot be easily answered and the speaker will need a deeper understanding of engineering principles to effectively and safely solve the problem.
berdan
So,I started to work in crane production industry . I suppose to choise the correct IPE profile for my jib crane (which looks like this one http://www.eotcranes.org/wp-content/uploads/2015/05/Post-Mounted-Jib-Crane.jpg ) , but no one in engineering department wants to explain me how to choose correctly (they all extra busy :( ) .
First of all , I see that they calculate deflections ,which I don't get why ? Why deflections are a factor ?

But anyway,my main question is how I choose the correct profile in my crane ? Ok,I suppose to find the most "problematic" stresses . How do I find them in IPE profile ? And then , I compare them to standart Sy of steel (RS37 grade) ?

Engineering news on Phys.org
Your questions cannot be answered in a few brief postings .

You'll need to learn the principles of engineering in depth before you can really understand and solve even a very simple problem like this one effectively and safely .

1. What factors should I consider when choosing a steel profile?

When choosing a steel profile, it is important to consider factors such as the intended use or application, load-bearing capacity, corrosion resistance, and the required size and shape of the profile.

2. What is the difference between hot-rolled and cold-formed steel profiles?

Hot-rolled steel profiles are formed by heating steel billets and passing them through rollers to shape them into the desired profile. Cold-formed steel profiles, on the other hand, are formed at room temperature through bending or pressing sheets of steel into the desired shape.

3. How do I determine the appropriate steel grade for my project?

The appropriate steel grade for your project will depend on factors such as the required strength, ductility, and toughness. You can consult with a structural engineer or refer to industry standards and guidelines to determine the most suitable steel grade for your project.

4. Can I use different types of steel profiles in the same project?

Yes, it is possible to use different types of steel profiles in the same project, depending on the specific needs and requirements. However, it is important to ensure that the profiles are compatible and can support the expected loads and forces in the project.

5. What is the best method for cutting steel profiles?

The best method for cutting steel profiles will depend on the type and size of the profile. Common methods include sawing, shearing, and plasma cutting. It is important to use the appropriate tools and techniques to ensure clean and precise cuts.