How to communicate 3d CAD with complex surfacing?

In summary: I have heard about this. Try to quanitify certain features such as mating parts, box dimensions, certain ratios etc. Can you give an example? Some you have worked on (that you are comfortable to share with) ? Or something online.
RKD89
Hello everyone

I am sure the answer to this would be on the internet but I can't seem to find much.

When we create a complex 3d cad (examples include Aerodynamic Helmet of a cycle biker, computer mouse, exhaust fan blades etc) that includes complex surfacing in cad, how does one communicate the designs to others in the PROFESSIONAL world? Example to mold or tool makers?
Is it by directly by sending the relevant 3d cad files in iges/step files?
How does one dimension such complex geometries on 2d drafting (autocad or pdf)?

Also how does one represent it in company documentations (say for ISO type quality control )

Engineering news on Phys.org
Step is well recognized by most CAD software, some with good feature recognition capabilities can actually recreate the build path. I had personal issues with IGES.
Non-geometric surfaces are not usually dimensioned as it makes no sense, and would generally lead to confusion as reference points/geometries are interpret-able.
In documentation, sometimes you just refer to a CAD file.

As Lok said you might refer to a CAD file.

Alternatively, you will (I assume) need to inspect the manufactured part. The inspection data will be described on a separate drawing or an inspection sheet. For FDA or ISO compliance, a reference to that inspection drawing/sheet is sufficient.

@ Lok: Thanks for the reply.
What does non-geometric surface mean? Cosmetic features with no engineering importance?

@Bandit127: Thanks for the reply
I have heard about this. Try to quanitify certain features such as mating parts, box dimensions, certain ratios etc
Can you give an example? Some you have worked on (that you are comfortable to share with) ? Or something online. It'll be great

I have sold metrology instruments and equipment since 1980. Your question is typical in my sales world. CAD computer assisted design. The CAD file is typically sent to the CAD ( computer assisted manufacturer) department where the tool path is programmed to actually mill, shape, drill the part. Next, the part is placed on a CMM (coordinate Measurement machine ) and the production part is inspected and compared to the CAD model in real time. I can go into minute detail if you like but this is the general process in the chip cutting world.

@Ranger Mike:
I forgot about CMM. I guess there are laser scanners too.
Of course it'll be expensive for hobbyist like me.

Thanks

1. How do I export a 3D CAD model with complex surfacing?

Exporting a 3D CAD model with complex surfacing can be done through various methods depending on the software you are using. Generally, you can export the model as a STEP or IGES file, which are universal formats that can be opened by most CAD software. Make sure to check the export options to ensure the complex surfacing is included in the file.

2. What is the best way to import a 3D CAD model with complex surfacing?

The best way to import a 3D CAD model with complex surfacing is to use the same software that was used to create the model. This will ensure that all the complex surfacing is retained and can be edited if needed. If you are using a different software, make sure to check the import options to ensure the complex surfacing is supported.

3. Can I communicate specific surface features in a 3D CAD model?

Yes, you can communicate specific surface features in a 3D CAD model by using annotations, notes, or callouts. These tools allow you to highlight and describe specific areas of the model, including complex surfacing. You can also use screenshots or renderings to visualize the surface features more clearly.

4. How can I collaborate with others on a 3D CAD model with complex surfacing?

Collaborating with others on a 3D CAD model with complex surfacing can be done through various methods. You can use a cloud-based platform to share the model and allow others to view and make comments. Some software also allows for real-time collaboration, where multiple users can work on the same model simultaneously. Additionally, you can export the model as a neutral file format for others to open and work on.

5. Is there a way to simplify complex surfacing in a 3D CAD model?

Yes, most CAD software has tools or plugins that can simplify complex surfacing in a 3D model. These tools can help reduce the number of surface patches or smooth out sharp edges to create a simpler, more manageable model. However, keep in mind that simplifying complex surfacing may also change the overall shape and appearance of the model.