How to compute distance of points to a line?

Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
6 replies · 2K views
msn009
Messages
53
Reaction score
6
I have computed a line from point A to point B by just subtracting the coordinates as below:

line = np.array (x2-x1, y2-y1)

I am not sure if I need to form the formula for this line first by computing the slope and intercept but I continued my code as below, slope being m and b being the intercept from the formula y=mx+b

slope = (y2-y1)/(x2-x1)
b = (y2-y1) - (x2-x1)*slope

Now I am not sure how I can calculate the distance of several x,y points to this line.

can anyone help? thanks.
 
Physics news on Phys.org
OK. When you say "the distance of several x,y points to this line" I assume you mean the standard "shortest distance", not just any old distance. If that's the case then it should be clear that the distance from any point to any line L is going to be on a line that is perpendicular to L, yes?
 
yes.. but just to be sure we are on the same page... say I have line L that I have computed as above. and I have x,y coordinates around this line or as you said that are perpendicular to this line and I now want to compute the distance of each x,y points to this line and take the point that has the maximum distance. I have attached the image for clarity. thanks
 
Attachments
  • P_20180910_140818.jpg
    P_20180910_140818.jpg
    27.1 KB · Views: 477
i tried this formula and implemented it in python, and it seems to work so this problem is solved.