Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

How to convert Antimony Sulfate to Sb2O3?

1. Sep 20, 2012 #1
    How to convert Antimony Sulfate to Sb2O3???

Hi,

I have got some Antimony Sulfate and would like to convert it to Sb2O3 to be used as a refining & reducing agent in glass melt. But I am not sure if using the sulfate as such will decompose in the oxide at high temperatures (around 1200 celcius)... Any help will be highly appreciated.

Is there any other reducing agent you could recommend?

Thanks.

2. jcsd
  3. Sep 21, 2012 #2

AGNuke

Gold Member

Re: How to convert Antimony Sulfate to Sb2O3???

Heating Antimony Sulphate will likely decompose it to Antimony (III) Oxide and Sulphur Trioxide.

4. Sep 21, 2012 #3

chemisttree

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

It is supposed to hydrolyze in dilute water to the oxide. Sounds messy to me. Why don't you just get some antimony trioxide instead?

5. Oct 4, 2012 #4

Why reducing? In the sulfate, Sb is in which oxidation state?
    Anyway, if the sulfate is water soluble and gives Sb ions and SO42- ions, you could add Ca(OH)2 or, better, Ba(OH)2 (more soluble) and calcium or barium sulfate precipitates giving Sb oxide or hydroxide (or antimonic acid?) and in case you dry the last by heat.

6. Oct 4, 2012 #5

chemisttree

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

Antimony oxide acts as a reducing agent towards manganese and chromium oxides in glassmaking.

7. Oct 6, 2012 #6

Thanks for the instructions... sounds very interesting indeed...

But I am really scared of touching Sb in aqueous state. I guess I will just add a 0.5% of glass batch the Sb sulfate and see what happens :D

8. Oct 6, 2012 #7

You're 100% correct :)

without Sb2O3 it's almost impossible to create deep/pure green colors (from Cr2O3) generally because sodium oxide and chromium oxide react to form sodium chromate which gives the glass a yellowish tint.

If there's a tiny amount of PbO in the batch, lead chromate will form making the glass brownish orange instead of green !

Both cases can be avoided with the addition of Sb2O3...

9. Oct 6, 2012 #8

I wish, I could ... I have searched every single chemical shop in town but non of them is offering the oxide for sale!!! all I could find was the sulfate.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook