1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

How to convert arcsec to steradians

1. Dec 18, 2015 #1
    • Member advised to use the homework template for posts in the homework sections of PF.
    If I know the angular size of the object in arcsecs lets say r, how can I convert it into steradians size? is it just that the size in steradians is r2?

2. jcsd
  3. Dec 18, 2015 #2

Orodruin

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

You don't, not unless you know the shape of the object. An arcsecond is an angle and a steradian is a solid angle, they are different things. It is like asking how to convert a length into an area.

4. Dec 18, 2015 #3
    I know its spherical object (I should have mentioned it in my first post)..
    Yeah, converting is not a good word for what I want to do.. Better question would be How can I obtain the size of the spherical object in steradians if I know the angular size in arcsecs.

5. Dec 18, 2015 #4

haruspex

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member
    2016 Award

Since you are working with arcsecs, I assume we're discussing very small angles. If the subtended angle (of a diameter) is theta and the distance from the observer is R, what, roughly, is the visible area? Divide that by R2 and you have the steradians.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted