How to convert arcsec to steradians

• Thread starter Teenion
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Convert
In summary, the conversation discusses the conversion of angular size in arcsecs to steradians size. It is clarified that this conversion can only be done if the shape of the object is known, as an arcsecond is an angle and a steradian is a solid angle. The conversation also mentions the calculation of visible area and how it relates to the steradian measurement.
Teenion
Member advised to use the homework template for posts in the homework sections of PF.
If I know the angular size of the object in arcsecs let's say r, how can I convert it into steradians size? is it just that the size in steradians is r2?

Physics news on Phys.org
You don't, not unless you know the shape of the object. An arcsecond is an angle and a steradian is a solid angle, they are different things. It is like asking how to convert a length into an area.

Orodruin said:
You don't, not unless you know the shape of the object. An arcsecond is an angle and a steradian is a solid angle, they are different things. It is like asking how to convert a length into an area.

I know its spherical object (I should have mentioned it in my first post)..
Yeah, converting is not a good word for what I want to do.. Better question would be How can I obtain the size of the spherical object in steradians if I know the angular size in arcsecs.

Teenion said:
I know its spherical object (I should have mentioned it in my first post)..
Yeah, converting is not a good word for what I want to do.. Better question would be How can I obtain the size of the spherical object in steradians if I know the angular size in arcsecs.
Since you are working with arcsecs, I assume we're discussing very small angles. If the subtended angle (of a diameter) is theta and the distance from the observer is R, what, roughly, is the visible area? Divide that by R2 and you have the steradians.

What is an arcsec?

An arcsec, or arcsecond, is a unit of measurement used in astronomy to measure angles. It is equal to 1/3600th of a degree.

What is a steradian?

A steradian is a unit of measurement used in physics to measure solid angles. It is defined as the solid angle subtended at the center of a sphere by an area on the surface of the sphere equal to the square of the sphere's radius.

What is the conversion factor for arcsec to steradians?

The conversion factor for arcsec to steradians is 4.25x10^-4.

How do I convert arcsec to steradians?

To convert arcsec to steradians, simply multiply the number of arcsec by the conversion factor of 4.25x10^-4.

Can I use a calculator to convert arcsec to steradians?

Yes, you can use a calculator to convert arcsec to steradians. Simply enter the number of arcsec and multiply it by 4.25x10^-4 to get the equivalent value in steradians.