Intensity of Spherical Shell of Stars

In summary: The dr is necessary because it reflects the fact that there are more stars at the center of the shell than at the edges.
Kelli Van Brunt
TL;DR Summary
What is the intensity of radiation at the center of a spherical shell of stars?
Given that L is the luminosity of a single star and there are n stars evenly distributed throughout this thin spherical shell of radius r with thickness dr, what is the total intensity from this shell of stars?
My calculations were as follows: Intensity is the power per unit area per steradian of the sky; the power per unit area is ##\frac {nL}{4πr^2}##; the whole sky covers a solid angle of 4π steradians; and so the intensity should be equal to ##\frac{nL}{16π^2r^2} dr##. However, my book says that the total intensity is ##\frac{nL}{4π} dr##. Can anyone help explain my mistake here? I suspect the error has to do with my lack of familiarity with a solid angle, so if that could be explained, that would be very helpful.

Astronomy news on Phys.org
I think I can make a correction here, actually. My book did not define ##n## at all, but looking through later chapters it seems as though ##n## is more commonly used as a number density, rather than just the number of stars. In this case, setting n = # of stars / 4πr^2 dr would give me the same result that the book had. Sorry to inconvenience anyone with this thread, it was a misunderstanding of the variables on my part.

Why is there a dr in it at all? You know what it is for one star, and there are n of them.

Vanadium 50 said:
Why is there a dr in it at all? You know what it is for one star, and there are n of them.
For my original assumption where I defined n to be the number of stars, the dr was unnecessary, I agree. Looking back in the book, n referred to the density of stars instead (which was not explicitly stated, and that was what caused my confusion) which added a 1/dr factor that later had to be offset by tacking a dr to the end.

Your book is, I hope and trust, setting the stage for Olber's Paradox...

Likes sophiecentaur

1. What is the intensity of a spherical shell of stars?

The intensity of a spherical shell of stars refers to the amount of light or energy emitted by the stars within the shell. It is a measure of the brightness of the stars as seen from a specific distance.

2. How is the intensity of a spherical shell of stars calculated?

The intensity of a spherical shell of stars is calculated by dividing the total luminosity (energy emitted per unit time) of the stars within the shell by the surface area of the shell. This gives us the intensity of the light or energy received per unit area.

3. Does the intensity of a spherical shell of stars vary with distance?

Yes, the intensity of a spherical shell of stars decreases with distance. This is because the same amount of light or energy is spread out over a larger area as the distance increases, resulting in a lower intensity.

4. How does the intensity of a spherical shell of stars affect their visibility?

The intensity of a spherical shell of stars directly affects their visibility. The higher the intensity, the brighter the stars will appear and the more visible they will be. Conversely, a lower intensity means the stars will appear dimmer and may not be visible to the naked eye.

5. Can the intensity of a spherical shell of stars change over time?

Yes, the intensity of a spherical shell of stars can change over time. This can be due to various factors such as changes in the luminosity of the stars within the shell, changes in the distance between the observer and the shell, or changes in the transparency of the medium through which the light is passing.