How to delete one's own question? Mentors?

• Thread starter nomadreid
  • Start date
In summary, someone had a question about Markov chains but found the answer themselves before anyone could answer. They needed help deleting the post and asked the mentors for assistance. The mentors suggested using the "Report" feature or answering their own question with the links they found. The mentors also clarified that they can delete posts, not threads, and that deleted posts and threads are still visible to them. They also mentioned that giving a reason for deletion is not necessary, but it could be considered a courtesy.
nomadreid
Gold Member
Homework Statement: Had a question about Markov chains, but found the answer before anyone answered. I can't find out how to delete the post. Mentors, please help. Thank you, with my apologies.
Homework Equations: Markov chains

These were my questions, asked by someone else on another forum
https://math.stackexchange.com/questions/2604935/expected-value-of-flips-until-hht-consecutivelyhttps://math.stackexchange.com/ques...-expected-number-coin-tosses-to-get-hth-is-10Sorry, I didn't look well enough the first time. Mentors, please delete.

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Just use the "Report" feature to bring any post to the attention of the Mentors.

Likes bhobba, sysprog, nomadreid and 1 other person
An alternative would be to answer your own question by posting the links you found in the thread. This way, the thread can be useful to others who may have the same question in the future.

Likes bhobba, sysprog, OmCheeto and 3 others
Thanks, Doc Al and Ygggdrasil. I shall do that if I am ever again so careless. o:) Um, Doc Al, two questions: (a) you're a mentor. Can you delete? (b) Where is the "Report" feature? I don't see it.

Likes bhobba
nomadreid said:
Thanks, Doc Al and Ygggdrasil. I shall do that if I am ever again so careless. o:) Um, Doc Al, two questions: (a) you're a mentor. Can you delete? (b) Where is the "Report" feature? I don't see it.
(a) Yes, any Mentor can delete a post. (We do so rarely, of course.)
(b) Move your mouse around the post and the "report" option will appear underneath, to the left of the "like" button.

When I post something by mistake, or figure out the answer (which was actually trivial) soon after posting, I answer my own thread with a post "REQUESTED DELETION - PLEASE DON'T REPLY", or add this as the first line of the OP. This alerts other users so that they don't invest their valuable time in a thread that is destined for deletion. Then I use the Report button and request a deletion.

Likes bhobba, symbolipoint and sysprog
nomadreid said:

report.jpg

Zz.

Likes nomadreid and Doc Al
You can remove your post this way, also. . .

DeletePost.PNG

1569748784587.png
You don't have to type in a reason, just click "Delete".

Likes nomadreid
OCR said:
You can remove your post this way, also. . .

View attachment 250365

View attachment 250366You don't have to type in a reason, just click "Delete".
That works for deleting posts, not threads. (I believe those deleted posts are still visible to the moderators, and that is why the system asks for a reason for deletion. Some mod has to confirm this..)

Wrichik Basu said:
I believe those deleted posts are still visible to the moderators. . .
Yes, they are. . . but still, you need not give a reason for deletion. . 🤐

It could be considered as a courtesy, to provide a reason, though. . .?

Last edited:
Wrichik Basu said:
That works for deleting posts, not threads. (I believe those deleted posts are still visible to the moderators, and that is why the system asks for a reason for deletion. Some mod has to confirm this..)
Yes, deleted posts and threads are visible to the mentors.
As far as deleting your own post is concerned, as long as you do it within a certain time (*), you can do so, with or without giving a reason. We mentors don't confirm deletions. If you type in a reason, it will show up as the reason for deletion, which is something we mentors can see, but probably not regular members.

* - I don't know what the time allowed is, 20 minutes? It has changed a few times since I've been a mentor, and I haven't kept track of how long this window is.

Likes Wrichik Basu

1. How do I delete one's own question on a forum or website?

To delete your own question on a forum or website, you will need to log into your account and navigate to the question you want to delete. Look for an option to edit or delete the question and follow the prompts to confirm the deletion.

2. Can I delete a question that has already been answered?

Yes, you can still delete a question that has been answered. However, keep in mind that this may affect the answers and comments that have been provided by other users on the question.

3. How do I delete a question on a platform that I no longer have access to?

If you no longer have access to the platform where you posted the question, you can try reaching out to the website or forum's customer support team. They may be able to assist you in deleting the question or closing your account.

4. Will deleting my question also delete any answers or comments on it?

Yes, deleting your question will also delete any answers or comments that have been posted on it. This is why it is important to consider the impact on others before deleting a question.

5. How do I delete a question on a platform that does not have an option to delete?

If the platform does not have an option to delete your question, you can try editing the question to remove any sensitive information or requesting for a moderator to delete it for you. Alternatively, you can also reach out to the website's customer support for assistance.