How to Derive the Equation of Motion for Connected Masses on a Cylinder?

  • Thread starter Thread starter bobred
  • Start date Start date
  • Tags Tags
    Cylinder
Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
16 replies · 3K views
bobred
Messages
170
Reaction score
0

Homework Statement


Find the equation of motion, see diagram. Masses are P1 2m and P2 3m.

Homework Equations


Particle 1
[tex]\texttt{T}_1=\texttt{T}_1\texttt{e}_\theta[/tex]
[tex]\texttt{N}_1=\texttt{N}_1\texttt{e}_r[/tex]
[tex]\texttt{W}_1=-2mg\sin\theta{e}_r-2mg\cos\theta{e}_\theta[/tex]

Particle
[tex]\texttt{T}_2=\sin\theta{e}_r+\cos\theta{e}_\theta[/tex]
[tex]\texttt{W}_2=-3mg\sin\theta{e}_r-3mg\cos\theta{e}_\theta[/tex]

The Attempt at a Solution


Using Newton's 2nd law [tex]m\texttt{a}=\texttt{F}[/tex]

P1
[tex]-2mR\dot{\theta}^2\texttt{e}_r+2mR\ddot{\theta}\texttt{e}_\theta=-2mg\sin\theta{e}_r-2mg\cos\theta{e}_\theta+\texttt{N}_1\texttt{e}_r+\texttt{T}_1\texttt{e}_\theta[/tex]

P2
[tex]-3mg=\sin\theta{e}_r+\cos\theta{e}_\theta-3mg\sin\theta{e}_r-3mg\cos\theta{e}_\theta[/tex]

Does what I have done look ok? The string is a model string so [tex]\texttt{T}_1=-\texttt{T}_2[/tex]. How can I find [tex]\texttt{N}[/tex] and [tex]\texttt{T}[/tex]?
 
Attachments
  • q4a.png
    q4a.png
    10.7 KB · Views: 480
Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
What's wrong with the dimension of the second equation of P2?
Does the problem provide any initial condition? Under some certain circumstances, the problem may be less complicated.
Let's consider the problem in general case. P2 swings (and maybe goes up or down) and thus, the section connected to P2 in general is not in vertical position. Therefore, in general, the angle coordinate of P2 is not theta.
I suggest a way to look at the problem, though I'm not sure if it's an easy way. The system's position is described by 3 coordinates: theta for P1, alpha and r for P2.

EDIT: I'm sorry, 2 coordinates are enough: theta and either alpha or r.
 
Attachments
  • untitled.JPG
    untitled.JPG
    13.4 KB · Views: 426
Last edited:
Hi

The system is initially at rest with P1 at B. P2 hangs vertically below A.

For P2 should I be using rectangular components instead of polar.James
 
Last edited:
Okay, so that's much easier. Then the equation for P2 is: [tex]3mg - T = 3m\ddot{y}[/tex]

We also have this: [tex]y=R\theta[/tex]

Therefore, [tex]3mg - T = 3mR\ddot{\theta }[/tex] (1)

We also have 2 equations for P1:

[tex]2mR \ddot{\theta }=T-2mgcos \theta[/tex] (2)

[tex]2mR \dot{\theta }^2=2mgsin \theta - N[/tex] (3)

From (1) and (2), get rid of T and do the integration, you will have [tex]\dot{\theta }(\theta )[/tex]. Combine with (3), you should have [tex]N(\theta )[/tex].

Actually if you apply the energy conservation law, things are much easier :smile:
 
I take it that P2 has a non-polar coordinate system i.e. x/y?

Thanks
 
Yes, that's the easiest way to analyze P2's motion. In this problem particularly, you even only need 1 coordinate (either x or y) for P2.
 
Hi

I have completed the question, thanks for your help.
But I'm asked to show that

[tex]\texttt{N}=\frac{6mg}{5}(3\sin\theta-2\theta)[/tex]

I have integrated and substituted into eqn 3, I get

[tex]\texttt{N}=2mg\sin\theta-2mR\ddot{\theta}^2[/tex]
[tex]\texttt{N}=2mg\sin\theta-2mR(\frac{g}{5R}(3\theta-2\sin\theta))[/tex]
[tex]\texttt{N}=\frac{2mg}{5}(3\sin\theta-3\theta)[/tex]

Can you see where I am going wrong?

Thanks
 
Last edited:
I got the 1st answer. Can you show me your work?

EDIT: I think you got wrong [tex]\dot{\theta }^2[/tex]
I got: [tex]\dot{\theta }^2 = \frac{2}{5mR}(3mg\theta - 2mgsin\theta )[/tex]
 
Last edited:
Sorry, I was a bit too hasty, I missed the 2g out, duh!

Thanks
 
Hi

One thing I had forgotten about was the constant of integration, which I have found from the initial conditions of [tex]\theta=0[/tex] to be [tex]\dot{\theta}^2[/tex]. We are also told that the system starts from rest so am I right in thinking that rate of rotation [tex]\dot{\theta}^2=0[/tex]?

Thanks
 
hikaru1221 said:
I got the 1st answer. Can you show me your work?

EDIT: I think you got wrong [tex]\dot{\theta }^2[/tex]
I got: [tex]\dot{\theta }^2 = \frac{2}{5mR}(3mg\theta - 2mgsin\theta )[/tex]

Hi
Been working thru this problem and I get to here and can't figure out how you arrived at the result.. could you explain it further??
Thanks
 
Using

[tex]\ddot{\theta}=\dfrac{g}{5R}\left(3-2\cos\theta\right)[/tex]

Whoops, see below.
 
Last edited:
Using

[tex]\ddot{\theta}=\dfrac{g}{5R}\left(3-2\cos\theta\right)[/tex] multiply both sides by [tex]\dot{\theta}[/tex]

Using the fact that [tex]\dfrac{d}{dt}\left(\dot{\theta}^{2}\right)=2\dot{\theta}\ddot{\theta}[/tex] insert this into the above equation and integrating both sides gives

[tex]\dot{\theta}^{2}=\dfrac{2g}{5R}\left(3\theta-2\sin\theta\right)+2c[/tex]

From the given initial conditions c = 0

[tex]N=2mgsin \theta - 2mR \dot{\theta }^2[/tex] inserting [tex]\dot{\theta}^{2}=\dfrac{2g}{5R}\left(3\theta-2\sin\theta\right)[/tex] into tis equation gives

[tex] \texttt{N}=\frac{6mg}{5}(3\sin\theta-2\theta)[/tex]

James