How to Determine the Brightness of Bulbs in a New Configuration?

  • Thread starter Thread starter hms.tech
  • Start date Start date
  • Tags Tags
    Bulb Power
Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
1 reply · 2K views
hms.tech
Messages
246
Reaction score
0

Homework Statement



See attachment
The question asks to calculate the brightness of the bulbs(g and h) in this new configuration.


Homework Equations



Since brightness [itex]\propto[/itex] Power

P= [itex]V^{2}[/itex]/R
P= [itex]I^{2}[/itex]R
E.M.F of One cell : V

The Attempt at a Solution



I used the equation P = V^(2)/R

Since the Voltage across "g" will be 2V and its Resistance is exactly the same as in the reference Attachment, "g" will be brighter than normal.
Similarly, since the Voltage across "h" is going to be V, "h" must be of normal brightness.

I am not sure if my answers make sense since if we apply the 2nd formula : P=R*I^2
we would get a different set of results .

Is it O.K to just rely on one of the two formulas and deduce the final answer based on say P=V^(2)/R ? Would the answers be authentic ?
 
Attachments
  • Capture.PNG
    Capture.PNG
    7.8 KB · Views: 493
  • Capture5.PNG
    Capture5.PNG
    2.6 KB · Views: 470
Physics news on Phys.org
hms.tech said:
I am not sure if my answers make sense since if we apply the 2nd formula : P=R*I^2
we would get a different set of results .
Not if you do it correctly. Pls post your working.