How to Determine the Coupling Strength for Dirac Neutrinos with the Z Boson?

Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
12 replies · 2K views
majorana2015
Messages
6
Reaction score
0
Hi All

1. Homework Statement

with the known coupling strenght between SM neutrinos and Z boson

[tex]Z_{\mu} \bar{\nu}_{L} { \gamma}^{ \mu} \nu_{L}[/tex]

how can I get the coupling strength for Dirac neutrinos
[tex]Z_{\mu} \bar{\nu}_{Dirac} { \gamma}^{ \mu} (1- { \gamma}_{ 5} ) \nu_{Dirac}[/tex] ?

thanks
 
Physics news on Phys.org
Just clipped off the part of the template where you show your attempt, did you?

Please show your attempt.
 
Yes I did, mainly because I have no idea how to start. Pointless to keep that part .
 
we have [tex]Z_{\mu} \bar{\nu}_{L} { \gamma}^{ \mu} \nu_{L}[/tex]
given that
[tex]{\nu}_{L}= \frac {(1- { \gamma}_{ 5} )}{2} \nu_{Dirac}[/tex]
and
[tex]\bar{\nu}_{L}= { \bar {\nu}_{Dirac}} \frac {(1- { \gamma}_{ 5} )}{2}[/tex] then

[tex]Z_{\mu} \bar{\nu}_{L} { \gamma}^{ \mu} \nu_{L} = Z_{\mu} { \bar {\nu}_{Dirac}} \frac {(1- { \gamma}_{ 5} )}{2} { \gamma}^{ \mu} \frac {(1- { \gamma}_{ 5} )}{2} \nu_{Dirac}[/tex]babysteps... but is it at least kind of right?
 
Can you simplify that?
 
What do you know about products of gamma matrices?
This is the part where "relevant equations" from the homework template are important.
 
thanks!. Do you mean?
[tex] \frac{1}{4} (1- { \gamma}_{ 5} ) { \gamma}^{ \mu} (1- { \gamma}_{ 5} ) = \frac{1}{4} ( { \gamma}^{ \mu} (1- { \gamma}_{ 5})^{2} [/tex] can I just do that with 1 − γ_5 term? so I'dhave [tex](1- { \gamma}_{ 5})^{2} = (1- { \gamma}_{ 5})[/tex] and then [tex] \frac{1}{4} <br /> Z_{\mu} { \bar {\nu}_{Dirac}}<br /> <br /> { \gamma}^{ \mu} (1- { \gamma}_{ 5} ) <br /> \nu_{Dirac}[/tex]
 
is this a joke? i come here for help and all I'm getting are just simpleton questions
 
It is not a joke. Your question can be answered with a series of simple steps, and you should be able to do all those steps (or look them up). You try to do too many steps at the same time, which does not lead to the right result, so I encourage you to make smaller steps, and to show them, so we can see what goes wrong.
 
majorana2015 said:
is this a joke? i come here for help and all I'm getting are just simpleton questions
Based on the work you have shown, you are making several trivial errors which mess up your computation, which is why you are being asked to check your individual steps. You will not get the answer handed to you here, this is not how PF works. Instead, you can get guidance and help to figure things out on your own, which is generally much better from a learning perspective. You can either chose to scream about this, which will get you nowhere, or accept the help and guidance you are given. One of the two will benefit you in te long run.