How to Determine the Liquid's Refractive Index in a Newton's Rings Experiment?

  • Thread starter Thread starter ChrisWM
  • Start date Start date
  • Tags Tags
    Optics Rings
Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
1 reply · 2K views
ChrisWM
Messages
13
Reaction score
1
Poster has been reminded to show their work on schoolwork problems
Homework Statement
Consider a Newton's ring experiment in air. The diameter of the fourth bright rings 10.0mm. When an unknown liquid is poured into the gap between the lens and the support, the diameter of this ring shrinks to 8.45 mm. Calculate the liquid's index of refraction. Assume that the liquid's refractive index is less than the index of refraction of glass (used for the lens and bottom plate).
Relevant Equations
xm=√mλfR.
I have no idea where to start with this. My professor didn't give an example and I am very confused.
 
Physics news on Phys.org
ChrisWM said:
Homework Statement:: Consider a Newton's ring experiment in air. The diameter of the fourth bright rings 10.0mm. When an unknown liquid is poured into the gap between the lens and the support, the diameter of this ring shrinks to 8.45 mm. Calculate the liquid's index of refraction. Assume that the liquid's refractive index is less than the index of refraction of glass (used for the lens and bottom plate).
Relevant Equations:: xm=√mλfR.

I have no idea where to start with this. My professor didn't give an example and I am very confused.
What is the equation for the radius of the Nth ring?
https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Newton's_rings#Theory