How to Determine the Sign of the Square Root in ODEs for Photon Orbits?

Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
2 replies · 3K views
nocks
Messages
24
Reaction score
0
hi there,
I'm trying to plot r against [tex]\phi[/tex] by solving the following ODEs using runge-kutta. The problem I'm having is with the square root. How do I know when it will be positive and when it will be negative? If this is a simple question I apologise I'm not that great with the maths :).

E and L and M are constants.
r>0.
[tex] V^2(r) = \left(1 - \frac{2M}{r} \right)\frac{L^2}{r^2}[/tex]
[tex] \frac{d \phi}{d \lambda} &= \frac{L}{r^2} [/tex]
[tex] \frac{dr}{d\lambda} &= \pm\sqrt{E^2 - V^2(r)}[/tex]

Thanks
 
Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
[itex]\pm[/itex] sign shouldn't be there in the first place. You have to decide whether it is positive or negative sign. Just look back at your model again.
 
matematikawan said:
[itex]\pm[/itex] sign shouldn't be there in the first place. You have to decide whether it is positive or negative sign. Just look back at your model again.

The model is of a photon's path around a black hole. The [tex]\pm[/tex] is due to the fact that the photons distance from the black hole can increase and decrease in the same orbit.

I've been advised to differentiate dr/d[tex]\lambda[/tex] to get around the [tex]\pm[/tex] but I am unsure as to how this will solve my problem.

I have the [tex]d^2r/d \lambda ^2[/tex] as [tex]\frac{d^2r}{d\lambda^2} &= \frac{L^2(r - 3M)}{r^4}[/tex]