1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

How to determine whether there is a reaction?

1. Apr 18, 2013 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    Which of the following combinations (in water) causes a reaction? Write a balanced reaction equation for the cases that cause reaction:

CU2+ + H2(g)

Fe2+ + AG

Fe3+ + Sn2+

etc....

2. Relevant equations

Not applicable.

3. The attempt at a solution

I've searched quite a bit, but every youtube video I find, and every site I find, explain how to analyze which TYPE of reaction we're dealing with, based on knowing both the reactants and the products.

My task doesn't reveal the product. I need to figure that out. And that's what I need help with.

A: These elements will synthesize if one is an anion and the other is a cation. I count up the charges and balance the equation accordingly. Is this correct? Is that all there is to it?

B: What is the significance of the water, and why is the water not in the list of reactants?

I've been reading http://misterguch.brinkster.net/6typesofchemicalrxn.html, but it doesn't explain how to figure out what products are formed.

Help would be very much appreciated!

2. jcsd
  3. Apr 18, 2013 #2

Simon Bridge

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member
    2016 Award

What are some reactions (in solution) that you know about?
    Compare.

A. that is pretty much correct.
    B. well Cu is normally a solid - the fact you are told that it is in a solution tells you something about what form it takes. How do things dissolve in water? Why do some things dissolve and not others?
    In your experience of chemistry so far, how has the presence of the water been important to the reactions you have done with chemical solutions?

This exercise is about making links between different experiences and knowledge. People won't always tell you an exact process to solve each particular problem - you are supposed to make the connections.

4. Apr 19, 2013 #3

Borek

Staff: Mentor

Looks to me like a typical question on reactivity series.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted