How to Distinguish Between Similar Traits in a Phylogenetic Tree?

Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
1 reply · 2K views
Adriane
Messages
9
Reaction score
0

Homework Statement


Draw a phylogenetic tree to illustrate the ancestry of the seven organisms chosen: dog, human, kangaroo, snapping turtle, penguin, rhesus monkey, bullfrog
  • At each branching point, identify the derived characteristic that creates the branch.

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution


I've attached the chart I created to identify which organism has each trait. I think I might have made a mistake that I can't find, because how am I supposed to create the diagram when the snapping turtle and penguin have the same traits, as well as the dog and rhesus monkey?
 
Attachments
Physics news on Phys.org
Definitely each animal should be unique in some way. Perhaps look for other traits? Something that will make penguin different from the turtle?

Can you start sorting these animals by their "age"? Which one of them seems to be the oldest in evolutionary terms?