Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

How to do Chicago style citation and bibliography

1. Dec 6, 2014 #1
    I have about 10 different sources for this 10 page essay and I use the main book several times, and cite several different pages. It seems like I can't just have this book listed once in the bibliography and put a superscript 1 in the text every time I reference the book, because no one will know what page of the book that specific citation comes from. So I'm stuck with either listing the book 20 times in my bibliography, which is just ugly and something I can't believe would be correct, or I can just do the in text citation and put the book once in the bibliography, but list every page that is used. Is that the correct way to do it? Thanks.

2. jcsd
  3. Dec 6, 2014 #2

Doug Huffman

Gold Member

http://www.lib.sfu.ca/help/writing/chicago-turabian

Last edited by a moderator: May 7, 2017
  4. Dec 6, 2014 #3
    Thank you. I've been searching all over for something like that.
    So if I use Mooney as an example. I would reference it like:
    1. Mooney, full citation with page number 24 for example
    2. Mooney, 25
    3. Mooney, 49
    4. Mooney, 96
    5. Mooney, 100
    And so on? Wouldn't that look strange if you've cited 20 different pages? I've never seen a bibliography that looked like that.

5. Dec 6, 2014 #4

Doug Huffman

Gold Member

Should we be concerned that you are trying Chicago style without the style manual in hand? I have seen pages of Ibid. Would not that suggest rather narrow sourcing?

I'm pretty sure that I still have my MLA manual. ETA: Yep, 1977

6. Dec 6, 2014 #5
    You shouldn't be concerned. This is the first and last time I'll be using Chicago style. This is for an elective class.
    Thanks again.

7. Dec 6, 2014 #6

Doug Huffman

Gold Member

What style manual does your objective field use? Is the class instructor teaching the general need for a manual of style?

8. Dec 6, 2014 #7
    Isn't there a way to use a main citation but 'append' the page number without listing it in the bibliography?
    I believe I've come across something like that before when I needed wanted to use some nice citations.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook