How to do independent research in Physics?

In summary, Mayur and his friend are researching electromagnetism and mathematics. They are looking for advice on where to publish their work. They have read the INSIGHTS articles and are ready to publish in a journal.
Mayur Sinha
Gold Member
Hey folks!

I have a degree in Electrical,Electronics and Communication Engineering and I work in Computer networking/Cybsersecurity field.

Lately, I met one guy and we both decided to do some indepdendent research in electromagnetism as we both have fare amount of love for Physics( I'm in love with Physics since childhood but cirumstances changed my career). We chose electromagnetism as we both have degrees in electrical engineering so we thought that could be our starting point.

We want to publish some research papers in this field, so I want to know how feasible is it to get your paper published even if you are not associated with a university nor you are in the same career field. We both are devoting 5-6 hours everyday to brush up on old concepts, be it Maths or Physics. I also want to know which areas should we focus in electromagnetism field and mathematics. What are the underlying challenges and unsolved problems are there in electromagnetism.

Your guidance would be much appreciated. Our goal is simple, to come up with new ideas and prove them mathematically and we are fully determined. We need your help and guidance.

Thanks,
Mayur

Physics news on Phys.org
The way people learn to do this is to spend a couple years with an expert - called a professor - showing them the ropes.

But iot's convenient that you posted this. I've just installed an anti-virus on my computer and have become interested in cybersecurity. Which journals am I ready to publish in?

Vanadium 50 said:
The way people learn to do this is to spend a couple years with an expert - called a professor - showing them the ropes.
This period is typically called "PhD studies".

Orodruin said:
This period is typically called "PhD studies".

Indeed it is.

This is so funny and insulting at the same time, hahaha

Thanks a lot @berkeman. I really appreciate your help.

1. What are the steps involved in independent research in Physics?

In order to conduct independent research in Physics, you will need to follow these steps:

• Choose a research topic that interests you and is relevant to the field of Physics.
  • Gather background information and familiarize yourself with previous research on the topic.
  • Formulate a research question or hypothesis.
  • Design and carry out experiments or simulations to test your hypothesis.
  • Analyze and interpret your results, and draw conclusions.
  • Communicate your findings through a research paper or presentation.

2. What resources are available for independent research in Physics?

There are various resources available for independent research in Physics, including:

• Scientific journals and publications
  • Online databases and libraries
  • Collaboration with other researchers or professors
  • Access to laboratory equipment and facilities
  • Funding opportunities through grants or scholarships

3. How can I ensure the validity and reliability of my research?

To ensure the validity and reliability of your research, it is important to:

• Use appropriate and well-calibrated equipment for your experiments.
  • Design a control group or control variables to compare your results against.
  • Conduct multiple trials and record your data accurately.
  • Use statistical analysis to determine the significance of your results.
  • Have your research reviewed and evaluated by peers or experts in the field.

4. How can I stay organized and manage my time effectively during independent research?

To stay organized and manage your time effectively during independent research, you can:

• Create a research plan or timeline with specific goals and deadlines.
  • Keep a research journal to record your progress and any important findings or observations.
  • Prioritize tasks and set aside specific blocks of time for each aspect of your research.
  • Utilize project management tools or software to keep track of your progress.
  • Stay focused and avoid distractions during your designated research time.

5. How important is collaboration in independent research in Physics?

Collaboration can be very beneficial in independent research in Physics. Through collaboration, you can:

• Share ideas and perspectives with others, leading to new and innovative approaches to research.
  • Gain access to specialized equipment or resources that you may not have on your own.
  • Receive feedback and constructive criticism from others, helping to improve the quality of your research.
  • Work with others who have different areas of expertise, allowing for a more comprehensive and interdisciplinary approach to research.
  • Learn from others and develop valuable connections and relationships within the scientific community.