• Support PF! Buy your school textbooks, materials and every day products Here!

How to do independent research in Physics?

Mayur Sinha
Gold Member

Main Question or Discussion Point

Hey folks!

I have a degree in Electrical,Electronics and Communication Engineering and I work in Computer networking/Cybsersecurity field.

Lately, I met one guy and we both decided to do some indepdendent research in electromagnetism as we both have fare amount of love for Physics( I'm in love with Physics since childhood but cirumstances changed my career). We chose electromagnetism as we both have degrees in electrical engineering so we thought that could be our starting point.

We want to publish some research papers in this field, so I want to know how feasible is it to get your paper published even if you are not associated with a university nor you are in the same career field. We both are devoting 5-6 hours everyday to brush up on old concepts, be it Maths or Physics. I also want to know which areas should we focus in electromagnetism field and mathematics. What are the underlying challenges and unsolved problems are there in electromagnetism.

Your guidance would be much appreciated. Our goal is simple, to come up with new ideas and prove them mathematically and we are fully determined. We need your help and guidance.

Thanks,
Mayur

Answers and Replies

Vanadium 50
Staff Emeritus
Science Advisor
Education Advisor
2019 Award
The way people learn to do this is to spend a couple years with an expert - called a professor - showing them the ropes.

But iot's convenient that you posted this. I've just installed an anti-virus on my computer and have become interested in cybersecurity. Which journals am I ready to publish in?

Orodruin
Staff Emeritus
Science Advisor
Homework Helper
Insights Author
Gold Member
The way people learn to do this is to spend a couple years with an expert - called a professor - showing them the ropes.
This period is typically called "PhD studies".

Vanadium 50
Staff Emeritus
Science Advisor
Education Advisor
2019 Award
This period is typically called "PhD studies".
Indeed it is.

This is so funny and insulting at the same time, hahaha

Mayur Sinha
Gold Member
Thanks a lot @berkeman. I really appreciate your help.