1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

How to do undergrad research in EE

1. Oct 24, 2009 #1
    Hi!

I want suggestions/guidence about how to carry out research in Electrical engineering at undergrad level? What constitutes for being a good research student in this field? I need detailed guidence.

Thanks.

2. jcsd
  3. Oct 24, 2009 #2
    I would have to suggest the obvious: Go to the department website and see what different professors are doing for research. If something interests you, talk to the professor.

I would let them know up front that you do not expect to be paid (a professor has only so much money allotted toward research; it will go to the grad students). I would be surprised if many professors would turn down free help so long as you seem motivated to learn.

Just make sure that you both have a clear understanding of how much time you have to dedicate towards the research. Your professor will know that you are quite busy with your undergrad studies, so give them a realistic number. Let them know that you have 'x' number of hours per week that you could feasibly give them.

If you are organized, motivated and can hold a semi-intelligent conversation with a professor, I so no reason why you can't get an undergrad research position(s).

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook