Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

How to dope a chemical compound?

1. Apr 3, 2015 #1
    I am interested in creating phosphors for electroluminescent panels and from what I've read, one of the most common compounds is copper-doped zinc sulfide (ZnS:Cu). I've figured out how to create the zinc sulfide through a simple combustion synthesis reaction but it is the doping part that I can't figure out how to do. I've tried doing more research as to how doping is actually done but I've only found general information. Can anyone shed some light as to how I could dope zinc sulfide with copper without the use of a university lab?

2. jcsd
  3. Apr 3, 2015 #2

phinds

Gold Member
    2016 Award

Introduce it to Fox News

4. Apr 4, 2015 #3

DrDu

Science Advisor

I remember this to be a standard procedure in introductory inorganic chemistry labs at univeristy. You should consult a corresponding text book on preparative inorganic chemistry (Probably the whole thread is also more apt for the chemistry forum anyhow). German books are the "Anorganikum" and Jander/ Blasius.
    I think the multi-volume "Handbook of Preparative Inorganic Chemistry", edited by Georg Brauer also contains recipes.
    Basically you simply add the dopant e.g. a nitrate to your combustion mixture.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook