Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

How to draw integral with mathematica

1. Sep 4, 2009 #1
    Hello,
    is there a way to draw the volume of a triple integral????, and in different ways???(rectangular, cylindrical and sphere coordinates)
    for example if the integral is
    attachment.php?attachmentid=20391&stc=1&d=1252079429.jpg
    what I want is to draw directly with the above formula
    attachment.php?attachmentid=20392&stc=1&d=1252079429.jpg

I have been struggling all day with this, because if for example I use something like Plot3D[Integrate[x..... it will first solve the integral, which will become a constant and then draw that constant

Also there must be a way because in the calculus book I'm studying, in many exercises it ask you to draw the volume of the problem with a software tool

Thank you, I really need this

Attached Files:

• 1.JPG
      1.JPG
      File size:
      9.5 KB
      Views:
    • 2.JPG
      2.JPG
      File size:
      18.3 KB
      Views:
  2. jcsd
  3. Sep 5, 2009 #2

Dale

Staff: Mentor

What you want to plot here is not the integrand nor the integral, what you want to plot is the limits of integration. I would use ParametricPlot3D or RegionPlot3D, but you will have to transform from spherical coordinates to Cartesian coordinates either way.

4. Sep 6, 2009 #3
    Thank you DaleSpam, now I can draw integrals in rectangular coordinates, for example, the integral

RegionPlot3D[-2 < x < 2 && -\[Sqrt](4 - x^2) < y < \[Sqrt](4 - x^2) && x^2 + y^2 < z < 4, {x, -2, 2}, {y, -2, 2}, {z, 0, 5}, PlotPoints -> 50, Mesh -> True, AxesLabel -> Automatic]
    will draw

attachment.php?attachmentid=20427&stc=1&d=1252238163.jpg

but for spherical coordinates, I found the sentence SphericalPlot3D, which for example with
    SphericalPlot3D[{1}, {\[Phi], 0, Pi/4}, {\[Theta], 0, 2 Pi}]
    will draw

attachment.php?attachmentid=20428&stc=1&d=1252238468.jpg

but I doesn't draw the cone underneath the sphere, my question is, is there a way to do that???

I thought something like saying to mathematica "draw me rho from 0 to 1 continuously ", and it would draw

attachment.php?attachmentid=20429&stc=1&d=1252238468.jpg

, but the cone being solid

thank you

Attached Files:

5. Sep 7, 2009 #4

Hepth

Gold Member

I'd use region plot and just use spherical coordinates. Its slower, and requires tweaking due to the angles but :

r = Sqrt[x^2 + y^2 + z^2];
    \[Phi] = ArcTan[y/Abs[x]];
    \[Theta] = ArcCos[Abs[z]/Sqrt[x^2 + y^2 + z^2]];
    RegionPlot3D[
    0 < r <= 3 && 0 < Abs[\[Theta]] < \[Pi]/4, {x, -5, 5}, {y, -5,
    5}, {z, 0, 5}, PlotPoints -> 60, Mesh -> True,
    AxesLabel -> Automatic, PlotRange -> {{-3, 3}, {-3, 3}, {-1, 5}}]

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Spherical_coordinates

Same for cylindrical. You just have to do a coordinate conversion back to cartesian.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook