1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

How to draw the derivative for a function?

1. Sep 26, 2007 #1
    If you see a graph of a function, then you need to draw the derivative for this function. How can you draw it? I know you have to find some points, and find their slopes, and then put it on the graph and connect the points, but how can I estimate the slopes. I can only figure out the slope of 0 and positive slope or negative slope. Other than that, I can't tell the slope. Hope you can tell me.
    Thanks for help.

2. jcsd
  3. Sep 27, 2007 #2

EnumaElish

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

The derivative at point (x,y) is the slope of the line tangent to the function at (x,y). I think you are concentrating too much on the function itself. Instead try visualizing a straight line that "barely" touches the function at point (x,y). Then calculate the slope of that tangent line.

4. Sep 27, 2007 #3
    [tex]\frac{\Delta F(P)}{\Delta P}=\frac{F(P+\Delta P)-F(P)}{\Delta P}[/tex]

there the slope of the line that connects point (F,P) and (F(P+ΔP),P+ΔP). now what happens when ΔP approaches zero?

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?