How to elliminate spam attacks?

• Thread starter jackmell
  • Start date
In summary, the conversation discussed ways to prevent ad spam on forums, such as using captchas, spam filters, and vigilant moderators. It was suggested to use a unique captcha method and to constantly update security measures to avoid being targeted by spammers.
jackmell
Hi,

I'm a member of another forum, unrelated to science and math, and notice it's being relentlessly and chronically attacked by ad spammers. I contacted the mods and they are trying to deal with it but it doesn't look like they are being successful.

May I ask how PF or any forum in general deals with stopping this?

Thanks,
Jack

Computer science news on Phys.org
Do they allow guest posts?
Do they have a captcha or similar methods to prevent bot registrations?
Which board software do they use? We are in a vBulletin board here, and that has some good methods to block automated spam.

The site admins need to make sure the site is configured to prevent bots from coming in (which only works to some extent). Requiring new members to confirm by email slows the spammers down a bit. Subscribing to a spam filter also helps to some extent.

The most important thing is that the moderators need to be ever vigilant. They cannot let those spam posts sit around for any length of time. The same applies to the spammers' IDs. The need to be banned as spammers ASAP. Word will get around the spammer community that your site is vulnerable if those spam posts are visible for long or if the spammers IDs aren't revoked. That means your site needs enough moderators so the site can be protected on a 24-7 basis. That, or limit site activity to just part of the day.

In my experience best thing is to use CAPTCHA different than others do. There are many CAPTCHA tools, but they rarely survive longer than several months. However, if you use a method that works only on your site, and your forum is not large enough to be worth an individual attack (IMHO even PF is not large enough for that), you should be relatively safe. From this POV best type of CAPTCHA is the one using questions and answers, as it is individualized and can be modified any time in no time.

Ok. Thanks guys. I'll pass on the information. A spam filter sounds like a good idea and the site does use question/answer for CAPTCHA. I'll find out about vBulletin also.

1. How do spam attacks occur?

Spam attacks occur when a large number of unsolicited or unwanted messages are sent to a large group of people, usually through email, text messages, or social media. This can also happen through automated programs, known as bots, that send out these messages in bulk.

2. What are the dangers of spam attacks?

Spam attacks can pose a variety of dangers, including phishing attempts to steal personal information, spreading malware or viruses, and flooding inboxes with unwanted messages. They can also be used to trick people into making purchases or clicking on malicious links.

3. How can I protect myself from spam attacks?

To protect yourself from spam attacks, it is important to use strong and unique passwords for all your accounts, never click on suspicious links or attachments, and be cautious when sharing personal information online. You can also use spam filters and anti-virus software to block or remove spam messages.

4. How can businesses prevent spam attacks?

Businesses can prevent spam attacks by implementing email authentication protocols, such as DKIM and SPF, to verify the sender of incoming emails. They can also use email filtering systems to detect and block spam messages. Educating employees on how to identify and handle spam can also help prevent attacks.

5. What should I do if I receive a spam message?

If you receive a spam message, do not respond or click on any links or attachments. Instead, mark the message as spam and delete it. If the message appears to be from a legitimate company or organization, you can also report it to their customer service or IT department. It is important to never provide personal information or make purchases in response to a spam message.