How to Ensure an Elliptic Cylinder Lies Above a Plane?

  • Level: Graduate 
  • Thread starter Thread starter Somefantastik
  • Start date Start date
  • Tags Tags
    Cylinder
Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
2 replies · 14K views
Somefantastik
Messages
226
Reaction score
0
I know that the equation for an elliptic cylinder is

[tex]\frac{{\left( {x - x_0 } \right)^2 }}{{a^2 }} + \frac{{\left( {y - y_0 } \right)^2 }}{{b^2 }} = 1[/tex]

How do I add a constraint on that to make sure that it lies above the plane z = -1? I'm confused about it b/c its equation does not involve z (a degenerate quadric?)
 
Physics news on Phys.org
You just have to specify the z domain for which the equation applies. If you insist on having one equation, define a function of z where f(z)=1 where the cylinder is supposed to exist and f(z)=-1 otherwise. Then in the ellipse equation, replace = 1 by = f(z).