How to Evaluate a Surface Integral on a Portion of a Sphere Above a Plane?

Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
2 replies · 2K views
boneill3
Messages
126
Reaction score
0

Homework Statement



Evauate Surface integral
[itex]\int\int_{\sigma}(x^2 + y^2)dS[/itex]
where [itex]\sigma[/itex] is the portion of the sphere [itex]x^2 + y^2 + z^2 = 4[/itex]
above the plane z = 1.

Homework Equations


[itex] \int\int_{\sigma} f(x,y) \sqrt{\frac{\partial z}{\partial x}^2+\frac{\partial z}{\partial y}^2+1}[/itex]

The Attempt at a Solution



The plane and the sphere intercect at z=1 and x2+y2=3.
so
[itex]z=\sqrt{4-x^2-y^2}[/itex]

we have

[itex] \frac{\partial z}{\partial x}= \frac{-x}{\sqrt{4-x^2-y^2}}[/itex]
and
[itex]\frac{\partial z}{\partial y}= \frac{-y}{\sqrt{4-x^2-y^2}}[/itex]

Z gives a projection of a disk onto the xy plane of x2+y2[itex]\leq 3[/itex]

Which is
[itex]R: 0 \leq \theta \leq 2\pi[/itex] [itex]0\leq r \leq \sqrt{3}[/itex] in polar co-ordinates

Therefore
[itex]\int\int_{\sigma}(x^2 + y^2)dS[/itex]= [itex]\int\int_{R}(x^2 + y^2)\sqrt{(\frac{\partial z}{\partial x})^2+(\frac{\partial z}{\partial y})^2+1}[/itex]

which equals


[itex]\int\int_{R}(x^2 + y^2)dS[/itex]= [itex]\int\int_{R}(x^2 + y^2)\sqrt{(\frac{-x}{\sqrt{4-x^2-y^2}})^2+(\frac{-y}{\sqrt{4-x^2-y^2}})^2+1}[/itex]

In polar co-ordinates
We have I think...

[itex]\int_{0}^{2\pi}\int_{0}^{\sqrt{3}}\left[(r^2)2\sqrt{\frac{-1}{r^2-4}} (r) \right]dr d\theta[/itex]

[itex]\int_{0}^{2\pi}\frac{-10}{3}d\theta[/itex]
[itex]= \frac{-20\pi}{3}[/itex]

Does this look alright ?
I'm not sure about if I've changed the [itex]\sqrt{(\frac{-x}{\sqrt{4-x^2-y^2}})^2+(\frac{-y}{\sqrt{4-x^2-y^2}})^2+1}[/itex] to polar co-ordinates correctly
 
Physics news on Phys.org
That actually looks pretty good. Except where did you get that wacky (-1) factor? You are integrating a nonnegative function, x^2+y^2. The answer had better be nonnegative.
 
Thanks a lot!
I don't think I was concentrating enough.
It is very easy to get lost doing some of these integrals.