How to evaluate the impact of my work anywhere to submit it?

In summary, the student is working on a first-author paper in theoretical/computational condensed matter physics and is looking to get it published. The student has studied magnetic properties in bulk and 2D and the electronic properties (or changes in) from 2D-to-bulk transitions. The student is not proposing a new material, but is looking to get published in a high-end journal. The student is scared to even consider submitting to a journal, but is interested in learning more about the trade-offs involved.
Etienne
Greetings all,

I am an undergrad working on my first first-author paper in theoretical / computational condensed matter physics (near the computational materials science end of the spectrum) and I am looking to getting it published. My advisor has published in many journals, from mid to high end journals in condensed matter physics.

A brief summary of my work: a certain compound was proposed in the bulk with DFT in 2015; in 2017 it was proposed as a 2D material with DFT... no further studies have been published on it and only theoretical electronic properties are 'known'.

Interested in this material, I re-did it from scratch, in the bulk and as a 2D material but instead of using DFT, I used EHT (Extende Huckel Tight-Bingind). Everything is O.K. so far. I also studied magnetic properties in bulk and 2D and the electronic properties (or changes in) from 2D-to-bulk transitions. The material is yet to be synthesized.

I know I am not proposing a new material, and I know that DFT is usually considered as BETTER than EHT, but I also know that it's worth getting out there. My advisor told me to start looking for a prospective journal, and suggested this as an option:

Journal of Superconductivity and Novel Magnetism: (Springer)http://www.springer.com/physics/condensed+matter+physics/journal/10948

I have also been looking at this one,

Computational Condensed Matter: (Elsevier)
https://www.journals.elsevier.com/computational-condensed-matter

Although, I know that I would love to publish here... but it scares the @#^% out of me to even consider it...

Physical Review Materials: (APS)
https://journals.aps.org/prmaterials/

Can anyone give me some good advice? I know that it will be important for my graduate school applications to have good publications, although this won't be my only publication during undergrad... (I have two years left of school)

Please help and thank you. :wideeyed:

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
I can't offer any field-specific advice unfortunately, but as an undergrad, in the vast majority of cases it's best to go with your supervisor's suggestions.

Likes Etienne
I agree with Choppy that it is best to go with your supervisor's advice. But you might have a discussion and raise your other options to get his feedback. Hearing his thinking on why he likes one journal more than the others can be useful.

I often end up on the fence and leave the final decision up to the undergraduate once I've advised them of the trade-offs. Some journals are more highly esteemed, but the odds of rejection are usually higher for those. Some journals also have longer review cycles. It may be to your benefit to submit to a journal with a shorter review cycle so it is likely to be accepted by the time you are applying to grad school. Usually it is an undergraduate's best interests to select a journal with a short review time and high probability of acceptance.

Likes Etienne
Thank you Choppy and Dr. Courtney. I believe you are correct, I think the point of this first publication isn't to report a breakthrough but to rather demonstrate that I can do some quality work as an undergrad, and my advisor probably has a good eye for that. I shall have a more thorough conversation with my advisor about the topic and see what he thinks, maybe show him the journals I've been looking at and get his expert opinion on the matter.
Thanks!

1. How do I determine the impact of my work?

There are several ways to evaluate the impact of your work, such as looking at citations, downloads, or online mentions. You can also use tools like Google Scholar or Altmetrics to track these metrics.

2. What factors should I consider when evaluating the impact of my work?

Some important factors to consider when evaluating impact include the relevance of your work to your field, the quality of your research, and the level of dissemination and engagement with your work.

3. How can I compare the impact of my work with others in my field?

You can use tools like Scopus or Web of Science to compare your work with others in your field. These databases provide citation data and other metrics that can help you gauge the impact of your work relative to others.

4. What are some limitations to evaluating the impact of my work?

One limitation is that metrics may not always accurately reflect the true impact of your work, as they do not account for qualitative factors such as the influence of your work on policy or practice. Additionally, not all metrics may be available for every type of research or in every discipline.

5. How can I use the evaluation of my work to decide where to submit it?

By understanding the impact of your work, you can better target journals or conferences that align with your research and have a high impact in your field. Additionally, considering the audience and scope of the publication can also help you decide where to submit your work for maximum impact.