How to Evaluate the Integral \(\int_0^{∞} \frac{e^{-(x+x^{-1})}}{x}dx\)?

  • Level: Graduate 
  • Thread starter Thread starter eyesontheball1
  • Start date Start date
  • Tags Tags
    Integral
Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
7 replies · 2K views
eyesontheball1
Messages
31
Reaction score
0
Evaluate the following integral:

[itex]\int_0^{∞}[/itex] [itex]\frac{e^{-(x+x^{-1})}}{x}dx[/itex]
 
Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org


Evaluate the following integral (symbolically and not numerically), should've specified that.
 


My guess is that you express e = (1+1/x)^x then work with that.
 


joeblow said:
My guess is that you express e = (1+1/x)^x then work with that.

Since x is already a variable in the problem, I assume you mean ##e=\lim\limits_{n\to0}\left(\left(1+\dfrac1n \right)^n\right)##?

For some reason, I feel like some sort of substitution of ... wait a second ...

How about the substitution ##u=\dfrac1x##?
 
The integral given does not converge. Its antiderivative is [itex]\displaystyle e^{-1/x}\text{Ei}(-x)[/itex] where Ei is the exponential integral function. I think simply plugging in zero for x shows why it wouldn't converge.
 
Hi !
the integral can be expressed in terms of a Bessel function (attachment)
 
Attachments
  • BesselK.JPG
    BesselK.JPG
    17.2 KB · Views: 433
Thank you again JJacquelin! I can always count on you! :)