How to explain serious extenuating circumstances in PhD apps

In summary: Thank you for sharing all of this with us. In summary, your lower division grades were poor, but you improved greatly in your upper division courses. You had personal trauma that affected your academic performance during your junior year, but you turned your life around and graduated with good grades.
em-c-squared
Hello!

I am planning on applying to physics PhD programs in the fall. My first two years of undergrad I averaged Bs in my lower division classes. Last two years I got a majority of As and A-s in my upper division courses.

Those first two years I had some extremely personal extenuating circumstances that destroyed my grades. I had a severe eating disorder and was then repeatedly sexually assaulted in a relationship. Because of the latter I ended up dedicating a LOT of my time to improving the environment of the physics department for women...I became president of the women in science club and also joined a committee to prevent sexual assault in the department.

Regardless, all of this ended in me being hospitalized in the first semester of Junior year because of a suicide attempt. I ended up with an incomplete in one of my electives that semester, and the spring semester got straight As as I started to turn my life around. Grades kept getting better right up till graduation.

I'm not sure if it would be worth it to mention any of this in my applications as 1) it's so, so personal 2) any professor I might end up working with would have read some of the most personal, raw parts of my life 3) I don't want to sound like I'm pimping out personal tragedies to catch a break since everyone goes through their own sh*t in undergrad.

Please help!

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
Very sorry to hear you had to go through that.

The decision on how much to disclose on something like this is entirely your own. One option is to state that you experienced extreme personal trauma that influenced your academic performance into the first semester of your junior year. Generally in my experience, admission committees are able to take personal trauma into consideration without requiring specific details (general statements can cover a wide range of circumstances -- illness, loss/grief, post-traumatic stress disorder, etc.). The fact that your grades improved in more advanced classes will also go a long way to support the case that you're a competitive candidate for graduate school.

Likes atyy, jedishrfu and berkeman
You have a couple of choices:

1. You just send in the application as is. You have one incomplete and a B average in your first two years and an A average in years 3 and 4. That's not the end of the world, particularly if you did well on the GRE.

2. If you don't want to go Route 1 and you don't want to go into the circumstances in detail, you can say you were a victim of a crime with a long recovery process and leave it at that.

Likes atyy, fresh_42, jedishrfu and 2 others
em-c-squared said:
I'm not sure if it would be worth it to mention any of this in my applications as 1) it's so, so personal 2) any professor I might end up working with would have read some of the most personal, raw parts of my life 3) I don't want to sound like I'm pimping out personal tragedies to catch a break since everyone goes through their own sh*t in undergrad.

All of these are good reasons not to mention those things in your applications. Another good reason is that lots of people have trouble for various reasons in their early undergrad years; the key is that you were able to get it together and show marked improvement in your later undergrad years. I would focus on that in your applications. If any follow up questions are asked about your early undergrad grades you can always say something along the lines of the second option @Vanadium 50 described.

If any of your references know about your situation, it might be helpful for them to mention it in their letters, at least in general terms as described by Choppy and V50.

You've gotten real good advice above.

1. What qualifies as "serious extenuating circumstances" in a PhD application?

Serious extenuating circumstances can include any significant challenges or obstacles that have affected your academic performance or ability to pursue a PhD. This can include personal or family health issues, financial difficulties, or unexpected life events such as a natural disaster or political upheaval.

2. How should I explain these circumstances in my PhD application?

When explaining serious extenuating circumstances in your PhD application, it is important to be honest and clear about the situation. Provide a brief overview of the circumstances and how they have impacted your academic journey. It is also helpful to discuss any steps you have taken to address or overcome these challenges.

3. Will explaining serious extenuating circumstances in my PhD application hurt my chances of being accepted?

No, explaining serious extenuating circumstances in your PhD application will not necessarily hurt your chances of being accepted. In fact, it can help the admissions committee understand any discrepancies in your academic record and give them a more complete picture of your potential as a PhD candidate.

4. Should I provide documentation to support my explanation of serious extenuating circumstances?

It is always a good idea to provide documentation to support your explanation of serious extenuating circumstances. This can include medical records, financial statements, or any other relevant documents that can help validate your claims. However, if the circumstances are sensitive or personal, you are not obligated to provide documentation.

5. Is there a specific format or length for explaining serious extenuating circumstances in a PhD application?

There is no specific format or length for explaining serious extenuating circumstances in a PhD application. However, it is important to be concise and to the point, while still providing enough detail for the admissions committee to understand the situation. It is also recommended to follow any guidelines or instructions provided by the university or program for explaining extenuating circumstances.