How to Export Data From an App & Display It on a Website

• Thread starter Moneer81
  • Start date
  • Tags
    App Data
In summary: I've been away from web development for awhile, but unless something new has come up, its pretty trusted.In summary, exporting the data and displaying it on a webpage would be fairly easy using different programming languages and hosting packages.
Moneer81
Hello,

Beginner here so take it easy. I am building a basic hybrid-platform app using Smartface (a similar platform to Phongap). For purposes of this discussion, the app will do something very basic: you click the start button and it will start counting down from 30 minutes to 0, and when you reach 0 you get 1 star. You can do this multiple times in a day. The more 30-minute sessions you complete, the more stars you get.

What I would like to do is have those stars exported and displayed on a webpage. In other words, I would like the user to browse to that website and see how many stars were collected over a day.

Now what is the easiest way to do this? I have been looking into the Parse platform, and into some of the authentication services out there. I also have a hosting package that includes MySQL and a decent amount of storage/bandwidth.

Without diving into complex discussions of building a backend infrastructure, what is the simplest way to export this very basic data and simply display it on a webpage?

Thanks in advance.

Technology news on Phys.org
Storing the data in mySQL and displaying it using something like PHP would be fairly easy depending on the tools you have available for developing your app. However why even introduce the browser? Just have it stored locally in the app.

To expand a bit on what Greg said, an super easy (and insecure) way would be to set up the app to send the information via a get request to a web url.
Something like www.yousite.com/postStar.php?id=123

then have a little snippet of php code which will insert the data into a webpage

It's insecure as what prevents people from generating their own requests?
You can make it a bit more secure by having the app generate codes, but with anything if someone is motivated they'll figure a way to break through :)

Thank you both! This explains things a little better!

Moneer81 said:
Hello,

Beginner here so take it easy. I am building a basic hybrid-platform app using Smartface (a similar platform to Phongap). For purposes of this discussion, the app will do something very basic: you click the start button and it will start counting down from 30 minutes to 0, and when you reach 0 you get 1 star. You can do this multiple times in a day. The more 30-minute sessions you complete, the more stars you get.

What I would like to do is have those stars exported and displayed on a webpage. In other words, I would like the user to browse to that website and see how many stars were collected over a day.

Now what is the easiest way to do this? I have been looking into the Parse platform, and into some of the authentication services out there. I also have a hosting package that includes MySQL and a decent amount of storage/bandwidth.

Without diving into complex discussions of building a backend infrastructure, what is the simplest way to export this very basic data and simply display it on a webpage?

Thanks in advance.
In addition to what's been said, JSON is the way to send data from javascript (phonegap) apps seemlessly to PHP. Google it and see how easy it is.

Isn't PHP notoriously insecure?

Moneer81 said:

Moneer81 said:
https://www.quora.com/What-are-the-top-10-websites-built-with-PHP ... I've been away from web development for awhile, but unless something new has come up, its pretty trusted.

Last edited by a moderator:

1. How do I export data from an app?

To export data from an app, you will first need to determine the format in which you want the data to be exported. Once you have decided on the format, you can use a programming language or a software tool to extract the data from the app and save it in the desired format.

2. What programming language can I use to export data from an app?

There are many programming languages that can be used to export data from an app, such as Python, Java, and JavaScript. The choice of programming language will depend on the app's compatibility and the format in which you want to export the data.

3. Can I export data from any app?

Not all apps allow for data export, so it's important to check the app's capabilities before attempting to export data. Some apps may have restrictions or limitations on exporting data, while others may not have any export functionality at all.

4. How can I display the exported data on a website?

To display the exported data on a website, you will need to use a programming language or a tool to parse and format the data in a way that can be easily displayed on a webpage. This can include using HTML, CSS, and JavaScript to create a table or chart to present the data.

5. Is it possible to automate the process of exporting data from an app and displaying it on a website?

Yes, it is possible to automate the process of exporting data from an app and displaying it on a website. This can be achieved by creating a script or using a software tool that can regularly retrieve and update the data from the app and automatically display it on the website.