How to factorize the hydrogen atom Hamiltonian?

In summary, the conversation discusses the factorization of the hydrogen atom Hamiltonian into a simpler form, using the operator identity and the commutator. It is shown how to work backwards to verify the given factorization and calculate the constants involved. The conversation also addresses a mistake in the calculation and clarifies the correct form of the sum. Ultimately, the conversation concludes that the factorization is correct and can be derived by manipulating the given formula.
yamata1
Hello,
The hydrogen atom Hamiltonian is
$$H=\frac{p^2}{2m} -\frac{e^2}{r}\tag{1}$$
with e the elementary charge,m the mass of the electron,r the radius from the nucleus and p,the momentum. Apparently we can factorize H $$H=\gamma +\frac{1}{2m}\sum_{k=1}^{3}\left(\hat p_k+i\beta\frac{\hat x_k}{r}\right)\left(\hat p_k-i\beta\frac{\hat x_k}{r}\right)\tag{2}$$
for suitable constants β and γ that you can calculate. I assume the operator identity:
$$\hat{A}^2+\hat{B}^2=(\hat{A}-i\hat{B})(\hat{A}+i\hat{B})-i[\hat{A},\hat{B}]$$was used.
Can someone explain to me how we can start with formula (1) and make the position operator appear in (2)?
Here is the source https://ocw.mit.edu/courses/physics...all-2013/lecture-notes/MIT8_05F13_Chap_09.pdf pages 33-34
Thank you.

Physics news on Phys.org
The easiest way to verify the given factorization is to work backwards, starting with the right-hand side of the given identity and using the operator identity you gave:
$$ \begin{eqnarray*}
\sum_{k = 1}^3 \left( p_k + i \beta \frac{x_k}{r} \right) \left( p_k - i \beta \frac{x_k}{r} \right) &= \sum_{k = 1}^3 \left( p_k^2 + \beta^2 \frac{x_k^2}{r^2} + i \left[ p_k, \frac{\beta}{r} x_k \right] \right) \\
&= p^2 + \beta^2 + \sum_{k = 1}^3 \beta i \left[ p_k, \frac{x_k}{r} \right]
\end{eqnarray*}$$
The only things left to deal with are the commutators ## \left[ p_k, \frac{x_k}{r} \right] ##. I'm sure there's a clever way of calculating this basis-free, but it's easy enough to grind it out in the position basis:
$$ \begin{eqnarray*}
\left[ p_k, \frac{x_k}{r} \right] \psi &= -i \hbar \frac{\partial}{\partial x_k} \left( \frac{x_k}{r} \psi \right) + i \hbar \left( \frac{x_k}{r} \right) \frac{\partial}{\partial x_k} \psi \\
&= -i \hbar \left( \frac{1}{r} - \frac{x_k^2}{r^3} \right) \psi
\end{eqnarray*}$$
so we have ## \left[ p_k, \frac{x_k}{r} \right] = -i\hbar / r + i \hbar x_k^2 / r^3 ##. In particular, since ##\Sigma_{k = 1}^3 x_k^2 = r^2##, the sum I started with is just
$$ p^2 + (\beta^2 + 3 \beta \hbar) - \frac{\beta \hbar}{r} $$
Plugging this into the expression for the Hamiltonian allows one to easily solve for ##\beta## and ##\gamma##.

As for how you'd actually come up with this factorization if you didn't already know it, all I can say is that after fiddling around with enough problems like this, the expression you gave seems like a plausible guess. Once you guess the correct factored form, it's a simple matter to work backwards as above to figure out what the constants must be.

Thank you for this answer. I made a mistake in calculating the commutator so I didn't have the term $$-\frac{\beta\hbar}{r}$$. If I understand correctly,I am left with:
$$-\frac{e^2}{r}=\gamma +\beta^2 +3\beta\hbar -\frac{\beta\hbar}{r}$$
and since β and γ are constants: Do we have$$-\frac{e^2}{r}=-\frac{\beta\hbar}{r} $$ ?

You're forgetting that the sum I calculated is multiplied by ##1 / (2m)## in the Hamiltonian. Otherwise, yes.

Likes yamata1
VKint said:
You're forgetting that the sum I calculated is multiplied by ##1 / (2m)## in the Hamiltonian. Otherwise, yes.
Thank you very much.

I think there is a mistake here
VKint said:
the sum I started with is just$$p^2 + (\beta^2 + 3 \beta \hbar) - \frac{\beta \hbar}{r}$$

$$\sum_{k = 1}^3 \beta i [ p_k, \frac{x_k}{r}]=\beta i(\frac {-3i\hbar}{r}+\frac {i\hbar r^2}{r^3})$$
So $$
\sum_{k = 1}^3 \left( p_k + i \beta \frac{x_k}{r} \right) \left( p_k - i \beta \frac{x_k}{r} \right)
=p^2+\beta^2+\frac {2\hbar \beta}{r}$$
but after seeing your question https://www.physicsforums.com/threads/commutator-of-p-and-x-r.933864/ the answer given makes it much simpler.

1. What is the Hamiltonian for the hydrogen atom?

The Hamiltonian for the hydrogen atom is the mathematical operator that describes the total energy of the system. It includes the kinetic energy of the electron and the potential energy due to the attraction between the electron and the proton.

2. Why is it important to factorize the Hamiltonian for the hydrogen atom?

Factorizing the Hamiltonian allows us to solve the Schrödinger equation and determine the energy levels and wavefunctions of the hydrogen atom. This is important for understanding the chemical and physical properties of hydrogen and other atoms.

3. What is the process of factorizing the Hamiltonian for the hydrogen atom?

The Hamiltonian for the hydrogen atom can be factorized by separating the kinetic energy term and the potential energy term. The kinetic energy term is solved using the Laplace operator, while the potential energy term is solved using the Coulomb potential. The two solutions are then combined to form the complete Hamiltonian.

4. What are the factors included in the factorization of the hydrogen atom Hamiltonian?

The factors included in the factorization of the hydrogen atom Hamiltonian are the kinetic energy term, which is solved using the Laplace operator, and the potential energy term, which is solved using the Coulomb potential. These two factors are then combined to form the complete Hamiltonian.

5. What are some applications of factorizing the hydrogen atom Hamiltonian?

Factorizing the hydrogen atom Hamiltonian allows us to accurately calculate the energy levels and wavefunctions of hydrogen and other atoms. This information is crucial in understanding the electronic structure of atoms and molecules, and is used in fields such as chemistry, material science, and quantum physics.