How to find a radius of a circular ring from a given equation

Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
1 reply · 4K views
raz23
Messages
1
Reaction score
0

Homework Statement


There wasn't a figure given. All that was given was that the figure is a circular ring. Theta is the angle between the electric field direction and a unit vector normal to the surface area of the ring. Flux versus costheta was plotted and a slope was found to be m = 0.172. E = 220.


Homework Equations


ϕ=EAcosΘ


The Attempt at a Solution


I took the tan-1 of 0.172 and then the cos of 9.76 and threw 9.76 for ϕ and .99 or the cos of 9.76 for theta and then divided 9.76 by .99. I thought the area was pi r2. I multiplied 220 by pi and then divided that answer by 9.86 or 9.76/.99. And then took the square root of that. Is this correct? I'm thinking it's not.
 
Physics news on Phys.org
Wouldn't the gradient of the line, m, just represent EA? And you know E already!