Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Homework Help: How to find an isotope given mass number and neutrons?

1. Dec 16, 2017 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    An isotope of which element has a mass number of 111 and has 5 more neutrons
    A- Antimonu
    B- Cadmium
    C- Iodine
    D- Tin
    E- Xenon

2. Relevant equations

3. The attempt at a solution
    I dont know where to start

2. jcsd
  3. Dec 16, 2017 #2
    It means 5 more neutrons than protons.

4. Dec 16, 2017 #3
    Thank you its C lol Thanks got it.

5. Dec 16, 2017 #4

epenguin

Homework Helper
    Gold Member

You have reported the question leaving out some words apparently - five more neutrons than what?
    You give no reasoning but I think your answer has to be wrong on any possible guess of what the question is. I'm afraid #2 is wrong too. And worst of all that the question is wrong as well (which we are getting quite often recently) - none of the options can be a correct answer.

6. Dec 18, 2017 #5
    The atomic numbers of the possible answers are 51 (Antimony, Sb), 48 (Cd), 53 (I), 50 (Sn), and 54 (Xe). Antimony-111 has a half-life of 75 seconds. Cadmium-111 is stable. Iodine-111 has a half life of 2.5 seconds. Tin-111 has a half-life of 35 minutes. Xenon-111 has a half-life of 0.74 seconds. So all of the possible answers have a possible mass number of 111.
    But only one has 5 more neutrons than protons: Iodine-111, with 53 Protons and 58 Neutrons.

7. Dec 19, 2017 #6

epenguin

Homework Helper
    Gold Member

Sorry, Scott was better than me at guessing what the question was. The most natural reading of the incomplete question was “five more neutrons than the naturally occurring most common isotope“.

You will probably never meet iodine 111 again.

Share this great discussion with others via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted