How to find an unknown in a cubic equation iF you are given a factor?

• Thread starter Beurre
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Cubic
Either way, you will find that the equation does have real roots and that the solution set is not unique.
Beurre
An example is x^3 + x^2 + ax -72
Factor is x+3
F(-3) doesn't equal zero and I am out of other ideas. Help? :/

Physics news on Phys.org
If x+3 is a factor then F(-3) = 0. Why do you think F(-3) is not 0? What would make it 0?

Beurre said:
Factor is x+3

thats the problem, think without any exemple.

Beurre said:
Factor is x+3
Hello Beurre. Welcome to PF !

What is F(-3) ?

Have you learned the relationship between roots and coefficients?
[tex]S_n = x_1x_2...x_n = (-1)^n \dfrac{a_0}{a_n}[/tex]
That is, the sum of the roots taken n at a time (in all possible combinations) equals the constant term divided by the nth coefficient multiplied by negative one raised to the nth power. I encourage you to research why this is true, so you don't blindly use the theorem. Regardless, let
[tex]P(x) \textrm{ have roots } x_1, x_2, \textrm{ and } x_3[/tex]
Then [tex] S_1 = x_1 + x_2 + x_3 ; S_2 = x_1x_2 + x_1x_3 + x_2x_3 ; S_3 = x_1x_2x_3[/tex] If not, and you are given at least one root and there is one coefficient missing, you can do synthetic division with x = -3 and deduce what that value must be.
I can't really type synthetic division out here, but try doing it, because you know that the some value times a must equal 72.

Last edited:
Beurre don't seem to have got back to us.

Beurre, have you been able to do this? If not, since you assert that "F(-3) doesn't equal zero", what do you think it does equal?

Beurre said:
Factor is x+3
You could do long hand polynomial division of the cubic equation by the known factor in order to end up with a quadratic equation and a remainder that will be some linear function of a, which you can then solve for a, or as already suggested subsitute x = -3 into the equation and solve for a.

1. How can I find the unknown in a cubic equation if I am given a factor?

In order to find the unknown in a cubic equation, you will need to use the factor theorem. This theorem states that if a polynomial equation has a factor, then the value of that factor will be a root of the equation. So, if you are given a factor, you can plug it into the equation and solve for the unknown.

2. Can I use the quadratic formula to find the unknown in a cubic equation if I am given a factor?

No, the quadratic formula can only be used to solve for the unknown in a quadratic equation, not a cubic equation. To solve for the unknown in a cubic equation, you will need to use the factor theorem or use other methods such as synthetic division or the rational root theorem.

3. What is the difference between a factor and a root in a cubic equation?

A factor is a number or expression that divides evenly into a polynomial equation, while a root is a value that makes the equation equal to zero. In other words, a factor is a solution to the equation, while a root is a specific value that satisfies the equation.

4. Is it possible to have more than one factor in a cubic equation?

Yes, it is possible to have more than one factor in a cubic equation. In fact, the fundamental theorem of algebra states that a polynomial equation of degree n has exactly n complex roots, which means it can have multiple factors.

5. Can I use the factor theorem to solve for the unknown in a cubic equation with only two known factors?

No, in order to use the factor theorem, you will need to know at least one factor and its corresponding root. This means you will need to know three factors in order to solve for the unknown in a cubic equation using the factor theorem.