Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

How to find barrier potential of pn junction diode

1. Nov 13, 2013 #1
    I want to know that when a pn junction diode is formed and barrier potential is setup then how can we determine the same theoretically. Also I wan to know that is there any relation between barrier potential and energy band gap

Small band gap small barrier? ?

2. jcsd
  3. Nov 15, 2013 #2
    Any 1here to help me out of this.

4. Nov 15, 2013 #3

ZapperZ

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Education Advisor
    2016 Award

The first part of your question isn't clear. What do you mean by "can we determine the same theoretically"? What are you trying to determine theoretically?

The energy gap has no explicit dependence on the potential barrier. The potential barrier is due to the difference in the Fermi energy of the p and n-type semiconductor.

Zz.

5. Nov 15, 2013 #4
    Ok,bt when pn junction diode is formed then barrier potential is setup which can be determined practically, is thr any way to find barrier potential theoritically?

6. Nov 16, 2013 #5

ZapperZ

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Education Advisor
    2016 Award

Starting from where? From the calculation of the band structure for each of the semiconductor?

Why can't you just look at the different values of the Fermi energy and then.... hum... just find the difference between the two? Or is this too simple to count as "theoretical"?

Zz.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook