How to Find g from the Gradient of a Distance-Time Graph?

  • Thread starter Thread starter jendrix
  • Start date Start date
  • Tags Tags
    Gradient Value
Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
2 replies · 8K views
jendrix
Messages
120
Reaction score
4

Homework Statement


I've been given the task of analysing data from an experiment where an object was dropped with an initial velocity of 0.I've calculated the time in s2 from the original milisec.

Distance Time s2
0.1 0
0.2 0.040804
0.4 0.081796
0.6 0.1225
0.8 0.163216
1 0.204304
1.2 0.245025
1.4 0.286225
1.6 0.326041
1.8 0.367236
2 0.408321

Homework Equations



I was h =g x t2 /2


Which I rearranged to make g the subject g = 2h / 2

The Attempt at a Solution



I've calculated the gradient of the graph as 4.9 using (Difference y) / (Difference x)



Picking 2 points from the graph

I'm stuck at the point where it says "Show how the gradient is used to find a value for g"

Using the equation I've calculated g to be 9.8 but I'm not sure how this related to the gradient apart from being double the amount?

Thanks
 
Physics news on Phys.org
What do you mean? You said that you calculated the gradient. Why that isn't a "use of gradient"?
 
Well if I'm using the formula for g(acceleration value)

g = 2h / t2

If the gradient is found by h / t2

Does that mean I can say that g = Gradient x 2

Do you think this answers the question "Show how the gradient is used to find a value for g?"

Thanks