How to find out [itex]\frac{\partial^{2} y}{\partial t^{2}} [/itex]?

• Thread starter iVenky
  • Start date
In summary, when given a function ##y(x,t)=F(z):z=x-vt##, the second partial derivative with respect to t can be found by substituting ##G(z)=-v\frac{dF}{dz}## and using the chain rule to find ##\frac{ \partial^{2} y}{ \partial t^{2}} = (-v)^2 \frac{d^{2}F}{dz^{2}}##.
iVenky
Let

y=F(z) where z=x-vt

Now I can find out the value of

[itex] \frac{\partial y}{\partial t} [/itex]

but I don't know how to find out the

[itex] \frac{\partial ^{2} y}{\partial t^{2}} [/itex]

I know that this is equal to

[itex] \frac{d^{2}F}{dz^{2}} (-v)^2 [/itex]I tried to solve this in this way- just tell me if this is correct

[itex] \frac{ \partial y}{ \partial t}= \frac{dF}{ dz} \frac{ \partial z}{ \partial t}=\frac{dF}{dz} (-v)
\\
\frac{ \partial^{2} y}{ \partial t^{2}}= \frac{\partial }{\partial t} \frac{dF}{dz} (-v)= \frac{d}{dz}\frac{\partial z}{\partial t} \frac{dF}{dz} (-v) = \frac{d^{2}F}{dz^{2}} (-v)^2
[/itex]

Just tell me if the above method is correct

Thanks a lot

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Let me just tidy that up a bit, and, in the process, make sure I understand you ;)

You have ##y(x,t)=F(z):z=x-vt## and you want $$\frac{ \partial^{2} y}{ \partial t^{2}}$$... so you tried:
[tex] \frac{ \partial y}{ \partial t}= \frac{dF}{ dz} \frac{ \partial z}{ \partial t}=-v\frac{dF}{dz}
\\
\frac{ \partial^{2} y}{ \partial t^{2}}= \frac{\partial }{\partial t}\left ( -v \frac{dF}{dz}\right ) = -v \frac{d}{dz}\frac{dF}{dz}\frac{\partial z}{\partial t} = (-v)^2 \frac{d^{2}F}{dz^{2}}[/tex]

Just tell me if the above method is correct
... that looks right to me (provided v is a constant with t). It will probably help with your thinking if you put: $$G(z)=-v\frac{dF}{dz} \Rightarrow \frac{ \partial G}{ \partial t}= \frac{dG}{ dz} \frac{ \partial z}{ \partial t}=-v\frac{dG}{dz}$$... then substitute back.

1. How do I find the second derivative of a function with respect to time?

To find the second derivative of a function with respect to time, you will need to take the derivative of the first derivative. This can be done using the notation [itex]\frac{\partial^{2} y}{\partial t^{2}} [/itex] or [itex]\frac{d^{2} y}{dt^{2}}[/itex]. It represents the rate of change of the rate of change of the function with respect to time.

2. What is the significance of the second derivative in calculus?

The second derivative is used to determine the concavity or curvature of a function. A positive second derivative means the function is concave up, while a negative second derivative means the function is concave down. It is also used to find points of inflection and to analyze the behavior of a function at critical points.

3. Can the second derivative ever be negative or zero?

Yes, the second derivative can be negative, zero, or positive. A negative second derivative indicates that the function is concave down, while a zero second derivative indicates a point of inflection. A positive second derivative indicates that the function is concave up.

4. How can I use the second derivative to find the maximum or minimum of a function?

The second derivative test can be used to determine whether a critical point is a maximum or minimum. If the second derivative is positive at the critical point, then it is a minimum. If the second derivative is negative at the critical point, then it is a maximum. If the second derivative is zero, the test is inconclusive and another method must be used.

5. Are there any applications of the second derivative in real life?

Yes, the second derivative is used in many real-life applications, such as in physics to calculate acceleration and in economics to determine the rate of change of a function. It is also used in engineering, biology, and other fields to analyze the behavior of systems and make predictions based on their rates of change.