How to find out [itex]\frac{\partial^{2} y}{\partial t^{2}} [/itex]?

  • Level: Graduate 
  • Thread starter Thread starter iVenky
  • Start date Start date
Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
1 reply · 2K views
iVenky
Messages
212
Reaction score
12
Let

y=F(z) where z=x-vt

Now I can find out the value of

[itex]\frac{\partial y}{\partial t}[/itex]

but I don't know how to find out the

[itex]\frac{\partial ^{2} y}{\partial t^{2}}[/itex]

I know that this is equal to

[itex]\frac{d^{2}F}{dz^{2}} (-v)^2[/itex]I tried to solve this in this way- just tell me if this is correct

[itex]\frac{ \partial y}{ \partial t}= \frac{dF}{ dz} \frac{ \partial z}{ \partial t}=\frac{dF}{dz} (-v)<br /> \\<br /> \frac{ \partial^{2} y}{ \partial t^{2}}= \frac{\partial }{\partial t} \frac{dF}{dz} (-v)= \frac{d}{dz}\frac{\partial z}{\partial t} \frac{dF}{dz} (-v) = \frac{d^{2}F}{dz^{2}} (-v)^2[/itex]

Just tell me if the above method is correct

Thanks a lot
 
Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Let me just tidy that up a bit, and, in the process, make sure I understand you ;)

You have ##y(x,t)=F(z):z=x-vt## and you want $$\frac{ \partial^{2} y}{ \partial t^{2}}$$... so you tried:
[tex]\frac{ \partial y}{ \partial t}= \frac{dF}{ dz} \frac{ \partial z}{ \partial t}=-v\frac{dF}{dz}<br /> \\<br /> \frac{ \partial^{2} y}{ \partial t^{2}}= \frac{\partial }{\partial t}\left ( -v \frac{dF}{dz}\right ) = -v \frac{d}{dz}\frac{dF}{dz}\frac{\partial z}{\partial t} = (-v)^2 \frac{d^{2}F}{dz^{2}}[/tex]

Just tell me if the above method is correct
... that looks right to me (provided v is a constant with t). It will probably help with your thinking if you put: $$G(z)=-v\frac{dF}{dz} \Rightarrow \frac{ \partial G}{ \partial t}= \frac{dG}{ dz} \frac{ \partial z}{ \partial t}=-v\frac{dG}{dz}$$... then substitute back.