How to find PhD position in my special situation?

In summary: EDIT2:I'm afraid that the field is full of people who think they are simply too brilliant to get good grades. Only a tiny, tiny fraction actually are. Even if you are in that tiny fraction, you're going to get lumped in with everybody else. You need to stand out with letters of recommendation and published research that exceeds the record of the typical European student with better grades than yours.
Solidstate
I am somewhat expert at solid state physics but I don't have good marks in my both undergraduate and graduate careers because I have always been involved in details and delved into deep physical concepts rather than preoccupied by exams. I am now PhD student but my university never meets my expectations. I think (don't regard as my selfishness) my knowledge is beyond my university level and I feel I have to study in a high-rank university in Europe. What is the best I can do in this situation? Could anyone please help me?

Physics news on Phys.org
One approach is to e-mail people who do research that you have experience for. Relevant quality research experience trumps marks, in my opinion. Also, there's are academic and career guidance sections at the top of the forum index.

I'm afraid that the field is full of people who think they are simply too brilliant to get good grades. Only a tiny, tiny fraction actually are. Even if you are in that tiny fraction, you're going to get lumped in with everybody else. You need to stand out with letters of recommendation and published research that exceeds the record of the typical European student with better grades than yours.

Solidstate said:
I am somewhat expert at solid state physics but I don't have good marks in my both undergraduate and graduate careers because I have always been involved in details and delved into deep physical concepts rather than preoccupied by exams. I am now PhD student but my university never meets my expectations. I think (don't regard as my selfishness) my knowledge is beyond my university level and I feel I have to study in a high-rank university in Europe. What is the best I can do in this situation? Could anyone please help me?

You're either trolling or delusional about your "expertise" and have been reading too many pop science books.

Explain why you feel your knowledge is beyond the level of your University... yet you cannot manage to get good grades. Saying that you've always been "involved in details and delved into deep physical concepts rather than preoccupied exams" means practically nothing.

Since you already are a PhD student the obvious route would be to produce a lot of kick-*** results in your research.

EDIT: kick-butt? kick-bottom? kick-lowerback?

What types of PhD positions are available in my special situation?

PhD positions can vary depending on the field of study and the institution. Some common types include fully-funded positions, part-time positions, and positions with a specific research focus. It is important to research different universities and their programs to determine which type of PhD position is best suited for your special situation.

What qualifications do I need to have for a PhD position in my special situation?

Most PhD positions require a strong academic background, including a relevant undergraduate or graduate degree. In addition, many positions may require relevant research experience, strong references, and a well-written research proposal. It is important to carefully review the qualifications for each position you are interested in to ensure you meet the requirements.

How do I find potential supervisors for a PhD position in my special situation?

One way to find potential supervisors is to research the faculty at universities or institutions with programs related to your field of study. You can also attend conferences or networking events in your field to meet potential supervisors and discuss your research interests. Additionally, reaching out to your network, such as former professors or colleagues, can also help you find potential supervisors.

What should I consider when choosing a PhD position in my special situation?

When choosing a PhD position, it is important to consider factors such as the research focus and resources available at the institution, the reputation and ranking of the university, the funding and financial support available, and the location and living expenses. It is also important to consider the fit between your research interests and the supervisor's expertise.

How can I increase my chances of getting a PhD position in my special situation?

To increase your chances of getting a PhD position, it is important to have a strong academic background and relevant research experience. It can also be helpful to reach out to potential supervisors and establish a connection with them. Additionally, having a well-written research proposal and strong references can also make you a more competitive candidate. Networking, attending conferences, and staying up-to-date on the latest research in your field can also help you stand out to potential supervisors and institutions.