PhD in Physics after getting my MS Physics in the US

• Courses
  • Thread starter Fernando Rios
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Phd Physics
In summary, it is important to check with the specific school's policy on continuing a PhD program after completing a Master's in Physics. However, based on the requirements for an MS at San Jose State University, it is likely that additional courses will be required at the PhD-granting institution.
Fernando Rios
I will start my Master's in Physics next August at San Jose State University. If I decide to start a PhD in Physics once I am done with the Master's, will I still need to take courses at the PhD? Or will I just have to do the research?

Likes DeBangis21
Physics news on Phys.org
Those questions are best posed to your department.

Likes PhDeezNutz and vanhees71
Fernando Rios said:
I will start my Master's in Physics next August at San Jose State University. If I decide to start a PhD in Physics once I am done with the Master's, will I still need to take courses at the PhD? Or will I just have to do the research?
Just to clarify, are you talking about continuing a PhD program at San Jose, or at a different school? Either way, that depends on the policy of the specific school with the PhD program. No general answer to your question.

Likes vanhees71
CrysPhys said:
are you talking about continuing a PhD program at San Jose
They only offer an MS.

While what people said is true, you need to check, having looked at the SJSU requirements for an MS, it is virtually certain that you will need to take multiple classes at your PhD-granting institution.

• Informative
Likes PhDeezNutz, vanhees71 and berkeman

1. What is the difference between a PhD and an MS in Physics?

A PhD in Physics is a research-focused degree that typically takes longer to complete than an MS in Physics. It requires a dissertation or original research project and prepares students for careers in academia or research. An MS in Physics, on the other hand, is a more coursework-based degree that can lead to careers in industry or government.

2. Can I pursue a PhD in Physics after getting my MS in Physics in the US?

Yes, many students choose to pursue a PhD in Physics after completing their MS in the US. In fact, having an MS can make you a more competitive applicant for PhD programs, as it shows that you have a strong foundation in the subject.

3. How long does it take to complete a PhD in Physics after getting an MS in the US?

The length of time to complete a PhD in Physics after getting an MS in the US can vary, but it typically takes 4-6 years. This can depend on factors such as the specific program, the student's research progress, and any teaching or other responsibilities.

4. What are the career opportunities for someone with a PhD in Physics?

A PhD in Physics can lead to a variety of career opportunities, including positions in academia, research institutions, government agencies, and industry. Some common job titles for PhD physicists include research scientist, professor, data scientist, and engineer.

5. Are there any funding opportunities for pursuing a PhD in Physics after getting an MS in the US?

Yes, there are often funding opportunities available for students pursuing a PhD in Physics after getting an MS in the US. These can include research or teaching assistantships, fellowships, and scholarships. It is important to research and apply for these opportunities early in the application process.