How to Find the Area of a Triangle Using Basic Trigonometry?

In summary, the conversation revolves around finding the area of a red triangle using a circle with a radius R and distance D from the centerpoint. A line is inserted at an offset angle A1 and another triangle is drawn to help solve the problem. The solution involves using the Law of Sines and the formulas for finding angles and sides of a triangle. The participants also discuss if there is a simpler way to solve the problem without involving the circle.
MechatronO
We got a circle with a radius R.

From a distance D from the centerpoint a line is inserted at an offset angle A1 from a line drawn though the centerpoint C of the circle, see the picture below.

http://cdn.imghack.se/medium/0861cdab13b8957018f8e167342f2b8e.png

I would like the are of the red triangle, provided D, R and A1.

I drew another triangle with one of its corner in the circles center for help, extracted the angle A2, got H and could then solve the problem but. However I wonder if there is a neater way than this.

What I did:

A3 = 180°-A1

Law of cosines give

sin (A3) / R = (sin A4) /D

A4 = arcsin( sin(A3) * D/R ) = arcsin( sin(180°-A1) * D/R)

A2 = 180° - A3 - A4 = 180° - (180°-A1) - arcsin( sin(180°-A1) * D/R) =

= A1 - arcsin( sin(A1)* D/R)

sin(A1) = H/R

H= R*sin(A1)

cos(A2) = (B+D)/R

B= R*cos(A2) -D

The red area = B*H/2 = (R*cos(A2)-D)*R*sin(A2)/2

And so forth. However, I get the feeling that this solution is more complicated than necessary?

EDIT: Btw the circle hasn't got much to do with the problem, but I'm just using it in a next step.

Mathematics news on Phys.org
What you call the Law of Cosines is actually the Law of Sines.

Typo.

More suggestions?

1. What is trigonometry?

Trigonometry is a branch of mathematics that deals with the study of triangles and their relationships between sides and angles.

2. What are the basic trigonometric functions?

The basic trigonometric functions are sine, cosine, and tangent. These functions are used to relate the sides and angles of a right triangle.

3. How are trigonometric functions calculated?

Trigonometric functions are calculated using a calculator or by using the values of the sides and angles of a triangle. Sine is calculated by dividing the opposite side by the hypotenuse, cosine by dividing the adjacent side by the hypotenuse, and tangent by dividing the opposite side by the adjacent side.

4. What is the Pythagorean theorem and how is it used in trigonometry?

The Pythagorean theorem states that in a right triangle, the square of the length of the hypotenuse is equal to the sum of the squares of the lengths of the other two sides. This theorem is used in trigonometry to find missing side lengths or angles of a triangle.

5. How is trigonometry used in real life?

Trigonometry is used in many real-life applications, such as architecture, engineering, navigation, and surveying. It is also used in fields like physics and astronomy to calculate distances and angles. Additionally, it is used in the creation of computer graphics and animations.