1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

How to find the argument of a function?

1. Jun 2, 2015 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    IMG_20150601_210114.jpg
    For the function ##V(f) = A \tau sinc(f \tau)## in the picture how do you conclude that the argument of ##V(f)## is 0º, +180º or -180º?

2. Relevant equations
    ##arg = arctan({\frac{Im}{Re}})##

3. The attempt at a solution
    The upper graphic represents the absolute value of the function, right? I understand that being a sinc function the negative parts of the graphic should "jump" to the positive side. I also understand why the function return 0 on k/τ.
    Is it correct to think, for example, between 1/τ and 2/τ the sinc function returns negative values but because it needs to shift to the positive values the fase should be negative so that negative times negative = positive?
    I'm so sorry if this questions sounds too basic. I'm trying to learn by myself, I'm not attending any classes and I have no one to ask this kind of doubts.
    Thanks in advance.

Last edited: Jun 2, 2015
  2. jcsd
  3. Jun 2, 2015 #2
    Write analytical ##sinc()## function and think about ##sin()## that you know much better.

4. Jun 2, 2015 #3
    ##sinc(x) = {\frac{\sin(\pi x)}{\pi x}}##

Capture.jpg
    The ##sin()## is positive between ##-2 \pi## and ##- \pi## and between ##0## and ##\pi## and is negative between ##- \pi## and ##0## and between ##\pi## and ##2 \pi##...

5. Jun 2, 2015 #4
    On your function the argument is ##ft## so ##f=\pi##. What must be ##Α## in your function?

6. Jun 2, 2015 #5
    ##A## represents the amplitude of the function, the value that the function return when ##x = 0##

7. Jun 2, 2015 #6
    I think ##A## has only a sign. The second diagram is a step function. Make some diagrams.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted