How to find the binding energy of a photon?

Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
4 replies · 17K views
Mayhem12
Messages
3
Reaction score
0
An X-ray photon of wavelength 0.940 nm strikes a surface. The emitted electron has a kinetic energy of 947 eV. What is the binding energy of the electron in kJ/mol?
What I did:

(947 eV)(1.602E-19 J)/1 eV = 1.52E-16 J(6.626E-34 J.s)(3.0E8 m/s)/.940 nm (10^-9m/1 nm) = 2.11E-16 J

2.11E-16 J - 1.52E-14 J/1000 KJ/J/1 mol = 5.90E-20 Kj/molObviously, there is something terribly wrong here and my textbook is deemed useless at this point. PLEASE HELP! Thanks
 
Physics news on Phys.org
Welcome to PF.
Mayhem12 said:
An X-ray photon of wavelength 0.940 nm strikes a surface. The emitted electron has a kinetic energy of 947 eV. What is the binding energy of the electron in kJ/mol?



What I did:

(947 eV)(1.602E-19 J)/1 eV = 1.52E-16 J


(6.626E-34 J.s)(3.0E8 m/s)/.940 nm (10^-9m/1 nm) = 2.11E-16 J

2.11E-16 J - 1.52E-14 J/1000 KJ/J/1 mol = 5.90E-20 Kj/mol


Obviously, there is something terribly wrong here and my textbook is deemed useless at this point. PLEASE HELP! Thanks
You have found the binding energy in kJ for a single electron, not for one mole of electrons.
 
Okay... so what am I missing? Avagadro's number maybe?
 
I solved it. I had to convert before doing the E-photon and E-released.