Electron's Energy After Absorbing A Photon

In summary, the electron's energy will be about -0.3715 eV if the hydrogen atom absorbs a photon with a wavelength of 1090 nm, calculated using the formula E photon = hc/λ and the values for h and c accurate to three significant digits. The process and answer were double checked for accuracy.
Kennedy111

Homework Statement

An electron in the 3rd stationary state around a hydrogen atom has an energy value of -1.512 eV. What will the electron's energy be if the hydrogen atom absorbs a photon with a wavelength of 1090 nm?

E = -1.512 eV

Homework Equations

Ephoton = hc/λ

The Attempt at a Solution

I'm unsure if my formula was the correct one to use...

E photon = hc/λ
= (6.63 x 10^-34 J*s)(3.00 x 10^8 m/s) / (1090 x 10^-9 m)
= 1.82477064 x 10^-19 J
= 1.140481651 eV

ΔE = Ef - Ei
Ef = ΔE + Ei
= (1.140481651 eV) + (-1.512 eV)
= -0.371518349 eV

The electron's energy will be about -0.3715 eV

I am really just unsure of my process and therefore my answer, so I would just like a second opinion. Thank you!

Physics news on Phys.org
Your method is correct, but you gave the result with four significant digits while calculating with values of h and c accurate to three digits. As the initial energy and wavelength were given with four significant digits, use more accurate values for c and h.

ehild

What is a photon?

A photon is a fundamental particle that carries energy in the form of electromagnetic radiation, such as light.

What happens when an electron absorbs a photon?

When an electron absorbs a photon, it gains energy and moves to a higher energy level within its atom. This process is known as excitation.

How does the energy of a photon affect an electron?

The energy of a photon determines the amount of energy that the electron gains when it absorbs the photon. The higher the energy of the photon, the greater the energy of the electron after absorption.

What determines the energy level that an electron moves to after absorbing a photon?

The energy level that an electron moves to after absorbing a photon is determined by the difference in energy between the electron's initial and final energy levels. This difference must match the energy of the absorbed photon.

What happens to the electron after it absorbs a photon?

After absorbing a photon, the electron remains in its higher energy level until it releases the energy by emitting a photon or through other processes such as collision or heat transfer.